2nd Trimester

Can I?

I've read mixed reviews on Feta cheese.  Some websites say it's perfectly fine to eat while others do not.  Help please?  Also can I eat Saganaki (flaming Greek cheese)?  We're going to a Greek restaurant tonight & I really love these two cheeses.

Re: Can I?

• As long as you are sure it has been made from pasteurized ingredients, it is ok to eat it, the link below might be helpful:

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/ResourcesForYou/HealthEducators/ucm106710.pdf

I am latina and love eating queso fresco, so I just make sure that under ingredients it says "pasteurized milk".

• i dont like feta so i dont eat it either way... but i think everything is ok in moderation.  Though, if you're worried, i wouldnt eat it

Never heard of Saganaki cheese.. 

• Loading the player...
  • exactly what pp said. I had given up feta completely then read about it and was like-oh its pastuerized.

Most items in the grocery store, unless its made fresh. The restaurants you have to be wary of. Panera Bread used pasteurized cheese, so its safe there.

• My vote is yes and yes...a lot of the cheeses you find in your grocery store, etc., are from pasteurized milk which is fine (according to my OB.)  Restaurants, unless extremely high end, are probably using pasteurized products because they tend to have a longer shelf life, so I would probably consider it fine. 

But I am also the person who would eat raw milk cheese if I were at the source of production.  Moderation...

• I always look when I'm at the grocery store but I'm asking today because we're going to a Greek restaurant.  I don't expect a server to know if they use pasturized cheese or not. 

• Just don't eat a ton of it!  I'm sure we've all eaten things that we shouldn't have at some point in our pregnancy because we just didn't know...
  • imageKrisann79:

I always look when I'm at the grocery store but I'm asking today because we're going to a Greek restaurant.  I don't expect a server to know if they use pasturized cheese or not. 

this may be true, but you SHOULD expect the chef or manager (who orders the food) to know what food they have in the restaurant. Ive asked many times about ingredients and most of the time the server didnt know but they checked with others and got me an answer quickly. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In America, all cheeses are "supposed" to be pasturized... that's why some websites say it's OK to eat them.. but i'm sure there are some places that dont.
  • LEE_VLEE_V member
    Doesn't hurt to ask at the Restaurant... ask to speak to the manager or the chef and find out..... it is probably pasteurized, but just so you don't worry about it... ask! And as long as it is - - ENJOY! Sounds delicious!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"