Parenting

Normal toddler behavior?

I'll ask the pedi at her 3 yr. apt. in a few weeks. Lately, she's been on the "I don't like, you, her, him" kick.

When I tell her we're going to meet someone (my friend and their kid who she's hung out with before) for a playdate, she'll say..."I don't like xyz".  The other day, I told her we were going to pick up the new babysitter, wasn't she so nice? And dd said, "No, I don't like her". She says this about people she's never even met as well.

This morning, as we're eating cheerios, out of the blue, she says "mommy, sometimes I don't like you. Because I'm mad. But I'm not mad right now."

I like to think that I'm a friendly, outgoing and polite person. And all this negativity is making me paranoid that I'm going to have a not-so-nice kid!

Melanie ~Ava Grace 7.20.06 & Lila Jane 7.22.09~ m/c #3 6/18/08 image

Re: Normal toddler behavior?

• I think it is a normal part of 3 year old behavior to begin verbally expressing emotion.  I would try doing some things where she can express positive emotions too.  I ask DD each day what her favorite part of the day was and we go through all the things we did and how she felt about them (Hates meeting the plumber, loves Museums, Music Class, playgrounds, and daddy )  They just need practice to get better at expression.  Good luck.  Toddlers are cave people and it is our job to civilize them :-)
  • ya i think it is pretty usual 3 year old behavior.. my nephew who is 3 does this as well .. if he don't get something or he is mad he always says i'm mad at you or your not my friend.. so i would also just make a positive out of something that day that she enjoyed ;) GL
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it's normal.  They talk about emotions at preschool, so I think it's a lot about them learning how to express themselves.  I wish DD would just tell me she didn't like me.  It would be so much nicer than the screaming "I want Daddy" temper tantrums she throws when she doesn't like what I tell her.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"