New Orleans Babies
Options

Private vs. Public

Have you all given any thought as to where you will send DC to school?  I went to a catholic grammar school and high school. However, now seeing the cost of tuition, I'm not sure if I'll be able to send DC to a private school.   Anyone else in this dilemma?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Private vs. Public

• Options
    this has always been a topic of discussion for our family even before dd was born, its very impt to me to have her in a  good school, it's worth the extra $ to us, we just will have to make it happen
  • Options
    Yeah, good point. The thought of tuition AND another baby is what I think I can't do. The thought of having 2 or 3 tuitions makes me feel queasy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMay524:
    Yeah, good point. The thought of tuition AND another baby is what I think I can't do. The thought of having 2 or 3 tuitions makes me feel queasy!

Oh I hear ya!  I honestly have no idea where we will be when it's time for our LO to start school (financially or even if we will still be living here - or if we are, what part of the city we will be in).  I went to all public schools and DH went to all private (Catholic).  I know for sure that I am not comfortable sending our children to the public schools in this neighborhood, but we do not want them going to a Catholic school either.  Not to mention, what if we have two or three by that time?  Yikes.  And the private, non-parochial (sp?) schools are soooo expensive.  It's frustrating...
  • Options

i'm hoping we can get the boys into one of the good charter schools - lusher or the international school or somewhere like that. even though my husband and i both work for the archdiocese (and he works for a school) it's highly unlikely we'll be able to afford to send them to one.

it helps a lot that we live in orleans parish, i have to admit, because of the charter schools.

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options

This is a constant topic of discussion at our house. We have NOOOOO idea what we are going to do.  My dh went to public and I went to private (catholic). While I feel that their are benifits to both, the private schools definately have a better environment.  At the moment we are hoping to be able to put her in a magnet public school.  That is, if she can test into it.  Private schools are VERY expensive and many do not have fully certified teachers because they do not pay worth a hoot. 

We really do not know what to do, I am glad you posted this and I hope others will reply with their thoughts!

Kelli

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • Options

While we don't have children yet and aren't planning on it anytime soon, we both went to public schools until high school. Then I went to Catholic school and he went to a Christian school. Depending on the area we live in when we have children, we will probably do the same thing when we have kids. I know on greatschools.net, you can check out how parents rate the schools that their children attend, which is helpful. Some students and former students even post. Also, since we're pretty young (I'm 5 years out of HS; he is 8 years out), we look back and consider where our smart, well-rounded friends went to school and look at those schools to consider possible future tuitions, etc.

LOL I must seem crazy for considering all this without being close to TTC, but I am really OCD and overplan/analyze everything, especially regarding the little people that we will one day bring into the world.

I'm sure you will make a great decision for your LO (he is precious, BTW). Luckily, he is still young enough and you are thinking about it early enough that you can begin saving and altering your spending to make sure that he has valuable educational experiences. If you need more money advice on the matter, a lot of the women on the Nest's Money Matters board could probably offer some good pointers. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"