TTC After a Loss
Options

The Family Building Act of 2009 part 2 high cost of infetility

If you think that this important piece of legislation will help you, then I encourage you to write your Senator and Representative and encourage them to vote for this bill.  It is a long shot but it would help all of us cut down on the high costs of infertility treatment.  There was an article about it in the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062602805.html

The Family Building Act of 2009 (H.R. 697, S. 1258) "takes an important first step toward improving the way insurers view infertility," but it is "not a silver bullet for improving the way [in vitro fertilization] treatments are conducted and covered," John Zhang, founder and director of the New Hope Fertility Center in New York City, writes in an opinion piece in The Hill. The bill, introduced by Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) in the House and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in the Senate, would require health insurance companies that cover obstetrical services to cover non-experimental treatment of infertility, including IVF.

Re: The Family Building Act of 2009 part 2 high cost of infetility

• Options
    I'm down for the cause.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Fortunately I haven't had to go down this road yet but I am all for it.  I would like to know that one day if I do have to do this I won't be stuck with a big bill.
    Missing our Little Pumpkin BFP 2-19-09, MC 3-1-09 Mommy and Daddy miss you and love you so very much! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wow...what is wrong with some of those commenters?  That put a damper on my day!  @$$holes!

TTC Since 10/08 4 IUIs=BFNx4
    IVF#1=BFP!! Twins!!
    Bradley and Billy born and lost on 2/2/11 at 19w2d due to pPROM/PTL. I miss you, little angels.
    IVF#2=BFN
    IVF#3=c/p IVF#4=Empty Follicle Syndrome; 1 mature, fertilized, & made it to blast. 5dt of "the lone ranger" on 9/6. Please stick, little one! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Does anyone know how the legislation proposes to address the increased costs to insurers to cover IVF?  I'm just wondering if mandating this coverage would cause insurers to increase permiums across the board for women of child-bearing age.

• Options
    imageteppy2008:

Does anyone know how the legislation proposes to address the increased costs to insurers to cover IVF?  I'm just wondering if mandating this coverage would cause insurers to increase permiums across the board for women of child-bearing age.

IMHO, you have to do what you believe in and I encourage you all to learn more about it.  That is what I did when I first saw this Bill.  There are arguments for both sides.  Insurance companies are fighting this tooth and nail.  But the whole school of thought behind it is that it will actually cut costs because it will help to regulate the birth of multiples through treatments that people will seek out anyways (mainly IVF). Births of mutiples increase health care due to the damage it can do to the woman and the problems with children from births with large numbers of multiples. It is based on research that says that IVF increases the cost of Health Care.  A recent study in the journal Fertility and Sterility that supports this finding.  Below are some other links to articles that talk about this. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/155777.php

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/154279.php

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"