Preemies
Options

Question about feeding, so frustrated!

I have 8 week old twin girls, born 8 weeks early.   They r now about 7 1/2  lbs each.  Ashleigh is taking about 5 1/2 oz per feeding with no problem, Brooke is struggling to take 4oz, and half the time spits it up. 

It will take me about 45 minutes or more to feed her, it's so frustrating.   It's so hard I feel like all I do all day is feed them and by the time I'm done, it's almost time to start again.  

Any suggestions???

Re: Question about feeding, so frustrated!

• Options

I'm impressed with the amounts they are eating at this age.  DS was also a 32-weeker and is taking 6oz. bottles since he was about 3.5 months.  Has Brooke been checked for reflux?  Long feeds and massive spit-ups are a sign of reflux, along with refusing to eat, arching their back, congested nose, etc.  You can thicken the bottles with rice cereal to make it heavier and stay down better, but I would talk with the pedi first.

Is she formula-fed?  Perhaps she needs a different kind, like one that is easier to digest.

• Options

wow, that's a lot of food!!  My little guy was born 10 weeks early and is only 8 1/2 weeks old, he eat 3oz of breastmilk per feeding every 2-3 hours.

I have the same advice as PP and will add taht smaller meals more frequently may help as well.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I"m not sure but that is a lot of food!  Our son is almost 3 months old (adjusted) and 11 lb 10 oz and only takes about 3-5 oz every 3-4 hours.  Granted he's on the small side, but still!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"