Two Under 2
Options

2 under 2 sharing a room?

I saw another post on here that talks about sleep issues with 2 under 2, but it seems that most people there have their children in separate rooms. For us, DD #2 will be in our room in the cradle for the first 2-3 months, then move into DD #1's room with her. They will be 23 months apart. I am pretty nervous about how sleeping is going to go. DD #1 is a very good sleeper right now, but I'm not sure that she'd sleep through a baby crying. I was thinking of maybe a white noise machine or something to muffle the noise at least, but not sure if it's effective in the same room. Suggestions anyone?

Re: 2 under 2 sharing a room?

• Options

I don't have any suggestions but I'm in the same boat and interested in responses. My girls will be 21 months apart. I hear that they get used to it but I'm nervous. We just moved DD 1 into her toddler bed and she's doing pretty well. Hopefully she'll be used to it by the time DD 2 is here. Good luck to us both.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My girls have been sharing a room for a couple of weeks and it's been working out really well.  My baby isn't a very good sleeper.  I figured out that my toddler has to go to bed first or put them down at the same time.  If I put the baby down first then my toddler wakes her up when we're putting her to bed.  So our routine now is that DH puts the toddler down and I put the baby down at the same time at about 8.  The baby still wakes up at night to eat.  I ebf and she's never sttn.  I really thought she would wake up my toddler but she doesn't.  The toddler sleeps right through it.  Well a couple of times she has looked up at me and I just tell her it's okay go back to sleep and she does.  Nap time is a little trickier for me.  Sometimes I put the baby in the pnp in our room.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We will be doing the same thing to and I am beyond freaked out.  At this point we are going to get a second convertable crib and putting our second DD in the older non-convertable crib around 4 months - we will keep him/her in a bassinet in our room for the beginning.

I would love to see other peoples replies on this one:) 

• Options
    We are planning on this too. My little ones will be 13 months apart. DD is a great night sleeper and has STTN since about 9 weeks. I am hoping #2 is the same way! He/she will be in our room until that point though. We ordered an extra changing table for our bedroom and will have the glider in there too so DD will not be bothered at night at all. I am actually more worried about naps than nighttime.
  • Options

My DDs are older but they have shared a room with each other as soon as I moved DD#2 out of the bassinet.  DD#1 didnt have any issues as long as she went down first.  Naps are an entirely story though.  DD#2 sleeps in the pnp for her naps.  My only frustrations so far have been switching DD#2 to a toddler bed.  They play and play and play until they pass out which is usually an hour and a half after their normal bedtime. However, it hasnt been a week since starting this.  What I think was essential for me was having DD#2 in her toddler bed before moving the baby in.  I then let her go and pick out her own sheets and comforter for her room so she would have soemthing excited about.  DDs are almost 20 months apart and DD#1 moved to her big girl bed around 22 months.  GL though.  Oh and getting your DC used to music may help with the sleeping through the baby's crying.  I always played lullabys for DD#1 when she was little to go to sleep to.

• Options
    I don't have 2 under 2 any more (my youngest is almost 2!), but my middle two have shared a room for over 3 yrs now and I really think they slept better because of it! We moved them together at 22 months and 3 months, Nicholas did wake once most nights from 6 to 16 months to nurse and never woke Brady (and I'm sure he would have woken in his own room as well), they absolutely love it and tend to sleep in the same bed. I think the key is to start early - I always hear people suggesting to wait until they are older but I think it's better if they don't really know anything else.
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Options
    We plan on having my 2 year old and the newborn share a room. More than likely the baby will be in our room in the bassinet, but if he does go in his crib he will have a feisty loving 2 yr. old brother ready to help  out at the sound of his first cry. My son is excited about the baby.
  • Options
    This is all a distant memory (my youngest is almost 2 herself now!) but I put the DD#2 in the nursery with DD#1 when she was about 7 months old (DD#1 had just turned 2)... I was planning on doing it as soon as DD#2 began sleeping through the night, but with each passing month, I realized that wasn't gonna happen anytime soon, so I bit the bullet and just put her in there... and much to my amazement, DD#1 never once woke up from DD#2's cries. For a while, we put them down separately (DD#1 first, and then DD#2), but now we put them down together at the same time. It was one of the things I stressed about most, and it ended up being one of the easiest things about having 2-under-2!
    A sister is a little bit of childhood that can never be lost. ~Marion C. Garrett
    image7_0002 A ~ 2.7.06 S ~ 9.2.07
  • Options
    Ours will be sharing a room since we only have 2 bedrooms.  DC #2 will be in a bassinet in our room for a couple of months and then they'll be sharing.  I'm nervous about it so I'm glad to read what others say.
  • Options
    Our DDs are 15 months apart. They are now 1.5 and 2.5 yrs old. They had to share a room in our old house because we didn't have the room, but in our new home they have seperate rooms. It's HEAVEN! If you can seperate them, DO IT! Everyone gets more sleep. We had to buy a crib tent because our toddler was so interested in our newborn that she learned how to climb out of her crib and started climbing into the newborns crib and falling ontop of her. It was terrifying. Plus our toddler would yell at the baby and keep her awake late at night and during naps. Our youngest was never fully rested and it took a toll on all of us. Now with them in seperate rooms, if one can't sleep at least the other will get sleep. Plus they are healthier now since their bodies are getting more rest. It's tough because you think they will be closer if they share a room and you don't want them to be lonely, but it's better for our family. They cried and I cried a lot the first 2 weeks or so in their own rooms, but now it's not a problem. GL! It's so hard to figure out because raising 2 under 2 is not the norm. It's harder then having multiples because they are so close in age, yet not the same developmental stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"