3rd Trimester

Craving a smell??

I was doing dishes just now and got the STRONGEST craving for the smell of Pine Sol. Has this happened to anyone else? Craving a smell???

Re: Craving a smell??

• YES!!! My major cravings were for smells.

1. sharpie markers! especially the magnum. bwa hahaha

2. paint thinners/gasolines

3. tar from road construction

I kid you not. I am one sick puppy.

• LOL I guess I'm just as sick as you then!!! HAHA

I've never done drugs, never been a "huffer" but this is just overwhelming! I know if you crave things like dirt it means you're lacking in vitamins... I wonder what this means lol

EDIT: I just found this.....

Re: Any of your preggy patients crave toxic things like PineSol? I teach new nurses and patients this: This phenomenon is called "pica" and women enduring this crave all manner of things (usually to eat/ingest), from chemicals, to ice, to baking soda, to clay in some soils. It's important to teach patients NOT to satisfy these cravings, if they include dangerous and/or toxic substances, and perhaps get dietary counselingimage as a deficiency of some sort may be partly responsible. Also I teach it will pass as pregnancy progresses or when the baby is born.

As you know, since this is you, you should avoid unnecessary exposure and use of all chemicals, if possible. What you are enduring is not unheard-of, but also can be unhealthy, if indulged too often or too much.

https://allnurses.com/ob-gyn-nursing/any-your-preggy-195672.html

• Loading the player...
  • yup. I'm about as straight edged as they come....but I would find myself filling up my gas tank and ever so sneakingly raising the pump to my nose to get a good whiff before I'd stick the nozzle in the tank! hahaha

oh and I would sit and color on a sticky note with my sharpies all day at work just to smell it.

I felt SO bad because seriously those fumes CANNOT be good for baby, but it was like an addiction! I needed it!  I would have taken a big gulp of gasoline if I could. lol

crazy huh? I don't think it meant and defeciancy in something, I asked the doc and she said people crave all kinds of things!

note- I'm not a pysco....I never actyually "huffed" fumes....I would just enjoy the scent.

• haha read my edit above
  • sam19sam19 member
    I haven't even been craving food. I know that there are certain things that if you crave, it's because you have some sort of deficiency like an Iron deficiency or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • I'm hooked on smells of cleaners and stuff...mostly bleach.  I think it has to do a little bit with nesting because smelling the bleach makes me feel like my house is clean and sanitized.

I'm also craving textures....like slushies and smoothies and stuff....I don't even care about the flavor, just needs to be slushy!

• haha. oh yes PICA I forgot that's what it's called.

funny times. ooooh pregnancy...sooo fun!

it does pass. while I still enjoy the smell of those things, I don't yearn to actually drink them anymore. haha=)

• Yes! Oh my goodness -I'm so glad you posted this because I thought I was going crazy!

My addiction has also been to Pine Sol!!! Also the smell of our garage, gasoline and the air conditioning in the car.

Very bizarre!?

• Yes!  The smell of the Method tub and tile cleaner (thank goodness it's non-toxic) and the smell of the car air conditioner, too.  Funny PP mentioned the same! 
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • with my second pregnancy I craved the smell of gasoline. I used to chase my DH around the yard when he was weedwacking and beg him to rev it so the fumes would come out. No joke! First pregnancy and this one are both food cravings only, though I have loved the smell of gasoline ever since.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"