Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Speaking of vacations...long ride in the car--what to do?

We're leaving for Yellowstone on Saturday June 27. I thought about buying a portable DVD player and getting some Elmo DVDs for Colton. I have no idea what to bring and do with him in the car. Let me just say, I wanted to fly. Last year when we planned this trip Colton was like 2 weeks old and Brian (DH) said "oh, we can drive and sightsee, Colton falls asleep when he hits the road anyway". Duh Brian, cause he was 2 weeks old, not now. So HELP!!! What we do to keep him entertained so I don't lose my mind.

TIA!!

Re: Speaking of vacations...long ride in the car--what to do?

• Options

First off ... can I say JEALOUS!!!  I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Yellowstone ... but DH and I decided we would wait until all kiddos arrive, and are old enough to camp and enjoy it.  Maybe I'll finally get there when I'm 40, lol. 

I don't have any car advice except being distractions and make lots of stops.  Jack is a bear on long car rides as well.  GL!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

We leave next week for a three week trip as well. I am buying a dual screen dvd player, one for each boy.  Then I have been getting small little gifts and wrapping them up. I am going to give them something new every 100/150 miles.  Gives them something fun to unwrap and then play with.  Our older son has the Leap Frog reading pen and he is bringing that as well.  I also got a box of the ziploc snack size bags and I am making trail mix, veggie sticks, goldfish, and some juice boxes.  I also got them each a new kick ball, that way at the rest stop we can eat lunch and they can run around and get some energy out before we get back in the car.  I also had my older son help me pick out music and make *his* playlist.  We went through my husbands music library (He is a DJ, so he has TONS of music) and after he finished, we have about an hour and a half of music. Along with that we got a couple kids books on CD at the Dollar Tree.  SO he can read along with the story. 

I am doing the trip by myself, so I have to make sure I have LOTS to keep them occupied and happy!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMrsTotty:

First off ... can I say JEALOUS!!!  I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Yellowstone ... but DH and I decided we would wait until all kiddos arrive, and are old enough to camp and enjoy it.  Maybe I'll finally get there when I'm 40, lol. 

This will be DH's first trip to Rushmore and Yellowstone and it'll be my 4th trip. My parents along with all my aunts, uncles, and cousins would take us to Yellowstone for big family trips. One year we took a detour to the Grand Canyon and then Vegas and then to Yellowstone. My dad worked for GM and we would take the 2 weeks that they were off in the summer to go on vacation. It's such a beautiful place and the weather will be so much better there than it is in Texas in the summer. You should really make a point to plan a trip there when everyone can go and enjoy it. The only reason we're going with Colton being young is that several other family members are going and we thought it would be fun.
    Enjoy your vacation on the beach!!

• Options

Bring earplugs. ;)

We drive to Colorado every summer and we love our road trips! The DVD player is a lifesaver for our older one. Lots of snacks and stops to burn some energy. I also pack up some of their toys that they don't play with much so it's like a new toy to them! Other than that, just lots of patience. :)

I prefer to be doing the driving while my DH is fetching the things for the kids. Luckily, he hates to drive so it works out great for us.

We want to go to Yellowstone too once the kids get a little older.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"