Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

2 year olds + nightmares

First off, I'm not a crazy stalker. Several of these girls can vouch for me!

My nephew has been having nightmares the past few months. He just turned 2 in April. This doesn't happen every night - there is no rhyme or reason to it. It's always from 12a-3a, and my sister and BIL have been taking turns going in his room to soothe him back to sleep. 

He's not eating anything different than he usually does, he's not on any meds, he's not sick and hasn't been sick since this started. 

She is calling his pedi, but she wanted me to ask my friends if they dealt with this at all. We all feel really bad for him, but we don't know if it's just a phase, his age, or what. 

TIA ladies! All your babies are so cute. I'm ready for Sars to have hers so I can hog the baby. 

Re: 2 year olds + nightmares

• Options

Look up night terrors for this age and see if that sounds like what they are experiencing. Mine is just starting this too and some of my friends 2-3 year olds are having these too.  We think they are night terrors instead of nightmares.  Just a thought.  Sorry for your sister, it's rough not knowing what is wrong. 

ETA - here is baby centers take on it:  https://www.babycenter.com/0_night-terrors-why-they-happen-and-what-to-do-about-them_64971.bc

• Options

We are gonna need to see some ID.  Please check with our bouncer, Creamy at the door.  Thank you.  :P

I'm curious to see the responses.  Sometimes I think my LO has nightmares and she's only 13 months.

I'm sorry about your nephew.  :( 

DD#1 is such a big girl! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmm, I can say that Caleb has them off and on but not regularly and def. not at certain periods throughout the night. One time he came in our room and told me an old lady was staring at him. We just let him lay with us for awhile and take him back to bed after about 30 min or so.

I think that if your nephew is having them pretty regularly, that is something I would be concerned about. They don't let him watch scary movies or anything do they? Or maybe he watched something on tv or something happened to scare him recently? IDK, but it does having them that often does not sound normal to me.

• Options

I would guess maybe 2x/week is how often he's having them.

Nope, no scary movies or TV - can't think of anything that would have scared him (besides my crazy family, but he's used to that). They did move about 3-4 months ago, and this never happened before the move. He has a new room, but nothing really changed - same bed, same bedding, same things around him. 

He's definitely asleep when it happens, he doesn't wake up - they just pat his back and soothe him so he goes back to sleep. Just makes me sad to think about my awesome nephew screaming :( Not to mention we're going on family vacation in a few weeks, that will scare me to death!

• Options
    imagekissmytiara:

I would guess maybe 2x/week is how often he's having them.

Nope, no scary movies or TV - can't think of anything that would have scared him (besides my crazy family, but he's used to that). They did move about 3-4 months ago, and this never happened before the move. He has a new room, but nothing really changed - same bed, same bedding, same things around him. 

He's definitely asleep when it happens, he doesn't wake up - they just pat his back and soothe him so he goes back to sleep. Just makes me sad to think about my awesome nephew screaming :( Not to mention we're going on family vacation in a few weeks, that will scare me to death!

From what I've read about night terrors that's what it really sounds like.  His parents are doing the right thing by going in to check on him and soothe him, but not wake him as that can freak him out even more.  I think it was Baby411 that had the information - it's at home right now or I'd go check.  I did find this thread on their forums - the last post has the best advice, I think: https://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=267972&highlight=night+terrors

I hope everything goes well for him.  Poor little guy.  :(

• Options

My son who's 3 started doing this after we moved to a new house. He had done it maybe once before that, but it always seems to correlate to not getting a nap that day. He has night terrors though from everything I've read. It always happens within 2-3 hours of going to sleep and he wakes up screaming and sometimes moving all over his bed. We can't wake him up from it and can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes before he stops and is quiet again. Soothing him will sometimes actually make it worse and prolong it. :( He doesn't remember anything the next day either.

This has been going off and on for about six months but not near the frequency it was in the beginning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had night terrors from the time I was two until I was over 18...which is quite unusual I think - but I had a pretty messed up situation going on at two. I'm sure that kids get night terrors as just a part of their age, but sometimes it is a symptom that something is going on in their life that they can't cope with. I don't mean to be a debbie downer or make you paranoid or nervous, but if any ?kind of situation has changed - new daycare or sitter, moving, anything - toddlers can react with night terrors.?

Hopefully you guys get it all worked out. Like I said, I had mine until I was eighteen - not a pleasant thing although they were a lot less frequent once I was about five or so. ?

• Options
    My two year old has night terrors frequently. My pedi says it usually from lack of food and lack of sleep. We have really been focusing on sending him to bed full and not too late, they seem to be getting much better. Even though he is acting awake, they are frequently not actually awake. We usually take Gage out of his room into another room and that helps a lot. My sister's little girl gets them so bad that they have to take her outside to calm her down. I hope they get better, I know how frustrating they are! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"