Health & Exercise
Options

I need more protein...help

I have been EPing for almost 9 months now making about 40 oz BM/day.  I do not eat red meat or chicken (do eat fish) - so a lacto-ovo-pescatarian. 

My problem is that I'm super exhausted.  I am getting more sleep, drinking lots of water, eating plenty - i'm thinking I may need more protein.

Any good food idead besides fish, nuts, cheese, beans etc.. There has to be something I'm forgetting.

Re: I need more protein...help

• Options

I am on the Bradley diet... some things I eat regularly -eggs (7 grams a pop), milk (5-8 grams depending on the type). Usually I eat two eggs a piece of wheat toast and a glass of milk for breakfast (high in chol, but it really kick starts your day) PLUS the milk and eggs are complete proteins designed for your body to break down.

Some other things I eat when I need to make  my count- south beach diet brand granola bars ( i like the cinnamon raison) have 10 grams per bar, yogurt (5 gr per serving (yoplait)),

• Options
    jshfjshf member
    Tofu is a good source of protein.  Maybe you're just exhausted too.  I know some days, I can barely keep my eyes open!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you drink milk, you could try carnation breakfast. It has has extra protein in it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Options

Talk to your doctor first, always....

Try protein shakes made with skim milk and BSN Syntha-6 powder. (You can get it at GNC or google online for a good price.) The Syntha-6 tastes really good (I've tried a LOT of brands), has a bunch of flavors, and has three proteins in it: milk (calcium caseinate), whey, and soy.  It's really awesome, both in taste and content.

One scoop plus one cup of skim is just under 300 calories,. and you'll get 22g of protein in the powder and 8g in the milk, for a total of 30g in one sitting!

I have heard that BSN Lean Dessert protein powder is delicious, too, but I haven't tried it. 

• Options
    I add EAS vanilla whey protein powder to my cereal in the morning. I buy it at the grocery store.
  • Options
    scrambled egg whites are good
  • Options

Surprisingly, a lot of foods that you wouldn't expect have a fair amount of protein. In addition to the suggestions above, try searching RecipeZaar for vegetarian dishes and then sort according to protein content.

Hopefully this link will work: https://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=vegetarian&ls=re&nutrx18=15

If you're feeling that tired - you may want to look at other nutrients like B12 and iron. They *should* be in your prenatal vitamin, but you could be low regardless. If you continue to feel tired and think that your diet may be the culprit, I would definitely talk to your doctor or midwife about it.

Tofu Scramblers (made with Nutritional Yeast) are great for B12 and protien. They're great with mushrooms and spinach too!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"