Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

talked to nurse line re: DD

My pedi's office sends you to the Childrens Hospital nurse line after hours.

She said temp of 105* is the number they say you need to go to ER. Also, if no wet diapers in 8 hours, they hook them up to an IV. I didn't change any since noon - however, we did let her play in the baby pool and she may have then, i can't say. Nurse said that if she's still active, crying tears and not acting lethargic, she's probably good, but that I should call in the am to schedule an appt. Also, not eating and not sleeping well are signs of infection, not just teething.

Oh, AND I have not been giving the right dose of meds either. Infant Tylenol for a 20 lb kiddo is 1.2. I was giving her .6 (the bottle says less than 2 ask a dr - well the last time the pedi gave me a dosage # that's what she said. That was 6 months ago though). So PSA, ask your dr what the correct dose is for sure. I feel like a jerk.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: talked to nurse line re: DD

• Maybe now if you give her the right dose it'll bring the fever down. Will she drink water? Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our pedi's after hours line also goes to our Children's Hospital. They have told me the EXACT same things as they told you. Ds typically runs high fevers and it's been 104.8 a few times but never got to 105 (fortunately).

Hope she feels better soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No wonder about her fever--and don't feel like a jerk.  The fever isn't harming her in any way--it's just our natural way of fighting infection.

Hopefully this new dosing will keep her comfortable!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You know in these types of situations we give Harmon juice, pedialyte, whatever just to keep him well hydrated.  That really helps keep the fever down.  Also we alternate baby Tylenol and baby Motrin.   HTH!  I'm soooo sorry, sick kids are do no fun!
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • imagenewportbride715:
    Maybe now if you give her the right dose it'll bring the fever down. Will she drink water? Good luck!

i was giving her the correct dose of motrin, just not tylenol and we were alternating every 4 hours. hopefully it will help.

i've tried water, juice, milk, pedialyte, cup and bottle. i think she drank probably 10-12 oz today. i tried a freeze pop and she threw it. she's only eaten some peaches, cheese, and nilla wafers. the nurse also suggested popsicles for future ref.

i'm calling for an appt first thing tomorrow.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagejenifairies:

i'm calling for an appt first thing tomorrow.

You know when Harm is sick like that we go in first thing in the morning to the pedi's (as soon as they open at 8 am).  They always squeeze us right in.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • ugh, i didn't even think of that dosing thing! we just found out at our 1 yr check we could give her 1.2.  and it was cause dh asked, not me.  i didn't even think of it. 

i hope she starts feeling better in the morning.  let us know what happens at the pedi appt.

• imagejenifairies:

My pedi's office sends you to the Childrens Hospital nurse line after hours.

She said temp of 105* is the number they say you need to go to ER. Also, if no wet diapers in 8 hours, they hook them up to an IV. I didn't change any since noon - however, we did let her play in the baby pool and she may have then, i can't say. Nurse said that if she's still active, crying tears and not acting lethargic, she's probably good, but that I should call in the am to schedule an appt. Also, not eating and not sleeping well are signs of infection, not just teething.

Oh, AND I have not been giving the right dose of meds either. Infant Tylenol for a 20 lb kiddo is 1.2. I was giving her .6 (the bottle says less than 2 ask a dr - well the last time the pedi gave me a dosage # that's what she said. That was 6 months ago though). So PSA, ask your dr what the correct dose is for sure. I feel like a jerk.

I hope she feels better.  I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but 10-12oz of fluid is pretty good for a sick kiddo IMO.  Good luck at the pedi!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"