Austin Babies
Options

NBR: Cat litter and Avery Ranch

I know this is more for the main board but I never post there so I'm hoping you guys can help!

We're looking at moving and went to look at houses yesterday.  I always kind of thought with our next house we'd put the cat litter in the laundry room but all the houses we looked at had a laundry room / pantry combo and I wouldn't want to combine food + cat poop!  So where do you keep yours? 

Right now we keep it in the garage with a cat door to the garage, but that's because we don't use our garage for our cars... we were hoping we'd use it for our cars with the next house and therefore didn't want our indoor cats to get out when we pulled the cars in / out.

Also we're looking in Avery Ranch so if anyone lives there and has any comments / suggestions about the neighborhood that would be great!  You can email me michelle dot boss at gmail.com

Re: NBR: Cat litter and Avery Ranch

• Options

We keep our litter box in the garage because I hated having litter tracked through the house, especially now with a crawler! ?I do park my car in there and one of our cats is indoor only, so we don't have a cat door, but I just put him out there a couple times during the day. ?It's worked out fine, no accidents.

Good luck with your move!?

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

This was/is a challenge for us as well. When we bought a house, I was sooo looking forward to putting the litterbox in the laundry room. Well, our house has one of those "walk-through" laundry rooms between the garage and the inside of our house and only has enough room for the machines and a walk-way. Bummer. We've considered the garage, but we do use our garage for our cars, and both of our cats are indoors only, so that's not an option.

Right now we have one of these in our office:image

DH does a really good job keeping it clean so there's no noticeable smell unless we've been gone on vacation or something. Just google "litter box furniture" if this is something you're interested in...there are tons of options/styles.

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow those are both great ideas!  I'm feeling better about the cat litter already!
  • Options
    We had the same problem as rssn in our new house, so I put the litter box in our bathroom.  Their food and water is in there too, so the cats have a place away from the dog and the kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another crafty solution that I've seen is if you have a bathroom that backs to the garage downstairs, you can sometimes place a kitty access door between the wall behind the toilet (rather unnoticably to the side) and the garage. The people I saw had it constructed a cage of sorts in the garage to limit the kitty access to other dangerous things, like oil etc. It takes a particular floor plan to pull this off but it could definitely work for some laundry/pantry combos that lead to the garage too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagerssnlvr:

This was/is a challenge for us as well. When we bought a house, I was sooo looking forward to putting the litterbox in the laundry room. Well, our house has one of those "walk-through" laundry rooms between the garage and the inside of our house and only has enough room for the machines and a walk-way. Bummer. We've considered the garage, but we do use our garage for our cars, and both of our cats are indoors only, so that's not an option.

Right now we have one of these in our office:image

DH does a really good job keeping it clean so there's no noticeable smell unless we've been gone on vacation or something. Just google "litter box furniture" if this is something you're interested in...there are tons of options/styles.

Ditto 100%. Our set-up in our new house is exactly like this and our cats are indoor only. I got this idea from rssn. If your DH is remotely handy, he can make one. My DH did and it only ended up costing us about $75 in materials.

Ours looks like an end table and you would never know there was a litter box in it. It also forces us to stay on top of cleaning it since it is inside.  There is a picture in this entry on my blog.

• Options

Hmmmm...how many rooms are you thinking about getting in your new house?  Maybe if you have a spare room you can put the litter box in the closet?  When we lived in apartments we just took down the coat closet door and put a curtain up and put the litter box in there.  If you get a two story house, most have the extra loft area.  Maybe you could put it there as well.  Right now ours is in a spare closet. 

If you want something moveable, this website gives a couple good ideas. 

https://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/search/label/pet%20furniture

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"