Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Good news last week, GREAT news today. WWYD?

Last week, DH and I decided that we would go to a lake resort to celebrate our 5th anniv with DD, which is at the end of June. That, in itself, is a feat! DH hates to travel... he used to be a commerical captain (pilot) so to him, it's like work. Anyhow, today, my Dad called saying his timeshare in Maui was available from July 1-10!!! We only have to pay airfare. Btw, I didn't even know he had a flippin' timeshare in Maui!? LOL! So... we are obviously considering cancelling the lake trip and going to Maui. WWYD?

Would you buy DD her own seat? It's a 5 hour flight and will cost an extra $600. ::gulp:: That's a lotta dough! I really have no idea why she needs her own seat. She'll be 23 mos old and will prob want to sit with us anyhow. Is she considered infant still? Will she still fly free?

The lake trip was gonna cost us like $600 plus food and entertainment (boat rentals, etc.). Maui would cost us $1050 for 2 adult tickets alone, plus food & entertainment. We can afford it but we're just too responsible to spend it without realllllly considering it. I know, most of you are like, "If you can afford it then????" Anyhow, the thing is that if we don't take this opportunity for FREE lodging now (savings of at least $1,500-2k), I'm afraid we may never. DH hates spending $$$ and it's like pulling teeth to get him to agree to ANY vacation, even a measly lake one for $600! LOL! My Dad said he has the timeshare for entire month of July, "for the rest of our lives" in his words, so if this doesn't work out this time, then we can try again next year. Anyhow, WWYD? TIA!

Re: Good news last week, GREAT news today. WWYD?

• Options

hmmm that's a tough one.  Since you are taking dd and she will be around what 4 months? I'd consider the activities at each destination and think what you or dd will be able to do.  The lake vacation sounds a little more relaxing and that may be easier to lounge around, take a cruise around the lake all with dd.

What are some activities in Maui?  Will dd be able to acompany you with them?

Like you said Maui will be there and it may be easier to do that trip when dd is older.

And I wouldn't buy her her own plane ticket if you don't have too...

• Options
    I would totally go to Maui!!! ?Children under 2 can fly free on your lap but be sure to bring her birth certificate to verify she is under 2. ?I don't know how long of a flight it is but between you and your DH you should be able to contain her. ?Plus staying in your dad's time share, you can grocery shop and eat breakfast and lunch in and even some dinners so you won't be spending a ton on food that way (you could probably do the same at the lake house but that wouldn't support my pro-Maui stance!) ?:)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

i flew with DD as a lap child when she was 16 months, and DH and i vowed NEVER AGAIN!  it's not that she was out of control, but for how long a period will your toddler sit still on your lap?  try it on your couch at home!  even with new toys, trying to constantly read to her, draw, naptime --- she STILL spent a large portion of the time trying to wriggle off our laps, climbing down to the floor, and standing between our knees playing with the contents of the seat back.  if we didn't let her, she would whine and cry loudly, and that was more disturbing to the people around us, so we let her.  now, if she was strapped into her carseat, she "understands" she can't get out of that (like in the car) so i think it would be easier.  plus it would probably be more comfortable to sleep in the carseat than sprawled awkwardly across your lap.

ours was only a 3 hour flight.  i would never ever do it for a flight longer than this, but would consider taking her again on our laps for 1 hour flight.  i'm imagining hawaii is quite a long flight...... 

• Options
    imageLM2003:

hmmm that's a tough one.  Since you are taking dd and she will be around what 4 months?

No way Jose! I am not brave enough to take a 4 month old on a plane to Hawaii! LOL! No, she'll actually be 23 months old.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"