Babies on the Brain
Options

Delivery at 30 Weeks?

My friend just had her baby tonight at 30 weeks via emergency c-section.  I don't know ANYTHING about premie births.  Is that bad or can it be OK?  Obviously she and her husband are busy (I found out about the birth via Twitter of all places!) so I don't know any details on their condition besides "Both doing good right now."

She JUST had her 30 week appt. this afternoon and everything was great.  I have no idea what happened between then and now.  I'm so beyond worried right now!

ETA: If it helps, I just got this info: 10 weeks early, 14.25" long, 2.25oz, breathing mostly on her own.

Re: Delivery at 30 Weeks?

• Options
    From what I understand baby will most likely be fine. Probably be in nicu for a little while. I'm no expert on things like this. But I do wish your friend and family all the best and hope everything is all right with both.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Based on the information it sounds like so far everything is okay. Are you close (distance) to this friend? If so maybe you can offer to help in some way (get things from their house, feed the dog/cat, prepare freezable meals).  HTH.

I hope everything continues to improve!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemimikat22:

Based on the information it sounds like so far everything is okay. Are you close (distance) to this friend? If so maybe you can offer to help in some way (get things from their house, feed the dog/cat, prepare freezable meals).  HTH.

I was going to head up there because I know everyone is gathering at the house with baby stuff to have set up for when they get there (she didn't even have her shower yet), but I actually had swine flu and it's still making its rounds in my household, so I'm keeping my distance for now.  But luckily I know there are TONS of people around to help out.  I just feel helpless being stuck here.  :(

Anyway, they just posted a pic and she is so tiny!  But they seem very optimistic!  And I found out WHY she had the c-section preeclampsia (sp?)  so it's a good thing she was able to get the help she needed.  They were told to expect the baby to be in the hospital for several more weeks (probably until her due date) and they have an uphill battle, but everything is good so far.

• Options
    I see. My friend had her son around 30 weeks due to preclampsia. That's a good idea about keeping your distance (due to swine flu). I'm sure its hard though. I miss my nieces and nephews so much when I get sick. Maybe once they are home you can offer to have food delivered? I hope their LO gets big and strong quickly!
  • Options
    KK2004KK2004 member
    imagejebuell:
    imagemimikat22:

I was going to head up there because I know everyone is gathering at the house with baby stuff to have set up for when they get there (she didn't even have her shower yet), but I actually had swine flu and it's still making its rounds in my household, so I'm keeping my distance for now.  But luckily I know there are TONS of people around to help out.  I just feel helpless being stuck here.  :(

Anyway, they just posted a pic and she is so tiny!  But they seem very optimistic!  And I found out WHY she had the c-section preeclampsia (sp?)  so it's a good thing she was able to get the help she needed.  They were told to expect the baby to be in the hospital for several more weeks (probably until her due date) and they have an uphill battle, but everything is good so far.

I'm glad you found out what happened and that mom and baby are doing well.  I don't know anything about premies either but my first worry was her lungs and are they fully developed.  I guess they are developed enough if she's breathing on her own but that's probably one thing they will keep her in NICU for. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker M/C #1 - BFP 12/28/2008. Confirmed m/c at 6wks - blighted ovum on 1/9/2009. M/C #2 - BFP 6/16/2009. Confirmed m/c at 7wks - blighted ovum on 7/1/2009.
  • Options

I work in a childrens hospital with some coverage in the NICU. 30 weekers have a great chance. Its the micro preemies (less than 1#) that typically dont do as well. Considering the wt and that the child is breathing almost on their own I would say things look good.

How are they feeding?

BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    CMDR513CMDR513 member
    You may want to post on the Preemie board. The fact that the baby was 2 lbs and is breathing on her own are great signs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options

My twin brothers were born at 31 weeks.

One was 2.1 lbs and the other 2.3 lbs.

They just kept them in NICU for 5ish weeks before they could come home.

Other than that, they were completely normal babies and are now completely normal 17 year old boys. ?They developed at a normal rate.?

• Options
    Barring other complications the baby should be ok! Probably spend some time in the nicu though. I'd definitely stay away since you had swine flu but maybe you can send something over - frozen casseroles or restaurant/takeout gift cards or a small baby gift or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"