High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Question about incompetant cervix

I asked in 2nd tri and it was recommended that i ask here.

I'm wondering if maybe I have an incompetant cervix.. for the 2nd time in a week while i was going to the bathroom I started to bleed, and not like, little spotting, like bleeding. But it only lasted a minute and then it stopped entirely. I called the on call doc and they said not to worry about it if i'm not cramping and it went away, to just call my doc monday morning. Unless it gets worse, then go to the ER..

anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had this? if you have IC did this happen to you or am I just being paranoid?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks so much

Me: 37
DH: 36
Married: 08-25-07
DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

Re: Question about incompetant cervix

• Options
    Hi, I have an incompetent cervix & I never had any symptoms before diagnosis. When my cervix got very, very short, I did feel pressure but that is the only symptom I have had. As far as I know, bleeding is not indicative of IC but of course you should talk to your doctor about your concerns. Do you have any family history of IC? My mom had IC & preterm labor which is why they were watching my cervix & caught it when it started shortening. Good luck & try not to stress yourself out this weekend...google is not always your friend. ;)
  • Options
    Liss_37Liss_37 member

lol you are so right. self diagnosis is not something I should be attempting.. no one in my fam has had any form of ic at all actually.. i was just freaking out trying to figure out what would make me bleed bright red blood but only last a minute and go away. I guess I should just take it easy this weekend and talk to my doctor on monday just like the on-call said.

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate your response!

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I hope everything is going ok today.  Like the pp, my IC/short cervix was not diagnosed till I had my big u/s at 19 weeks and I had no symptoms.  I also had a cone biopsy serveral years ago so that may be why my cervix is short.  Definitely put your feet up this weekend and drink lots of water.  GL!

• Options
    I was diagnosed with an incompetant cervix in 2004 after a pregnancy loss.  Trust me, If you had one, your doctor would have let you know.  You don't have to wonder or worry.  In my case there were no "symptoms"  it just happened.  But even with this diagnosis you can still have successful pregnancies you're just high risk and there are more steps involved to carry the full pregnancy.  I have a 4 year old and I'm 17 weeks preg now.  So don't worry.  And I don't remember my doctor asking me anything about a family history of IC.  No one in my family has had this diagnosis that I know of.
  • Options

I have IC - diagnosed in my second pregnancy.  In the first pregnancy, I had bleeding at 18 weeks (a lot) that then stopped.  I lost the baby at 21w2d to what we now know is IC.  We still aren't sure if the bleeding had anything to do with the IC, though.  I would suggest that you have the doc do a cervical check this coming week and then another follow up cervical check two weeks later.  They checked my cervix after the bleeding, but it didn't "show" incompetent.

From experience, it is WAY better to be that crazy pregnant lady!

• Options

The only symptom I had was slight pressure when I was on my feet at work.  The ultrasound tech just happened to discover it around 28 weeks when I was going in to get something else checked out.  If you are concerned you should call your dr.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"