Adoption

Where do you start?

My DH and I have always wanted to adopt.  We were planning to start the process in the spring of 2010, when our DS2 would have been about 6 mos. old.

We are still in shock over losing DS2 last week at 24w, but know we will move forward eventually with a plan to adopt.

We are open to domestic or international adoption, but haven't a clue as to how to get started.  Do you just contact a local agency?  Are there are websites y'all would recommend just to garner general info?

TIA.

m/c feb 07 ~ m/c twins oct 08 ~ Duncan Thomas: born to heaven 5/19/09 - m/c jan 11

My Blog

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where do you start?

• I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine your pain. 

We've got a lovely group of women and a man or two here...feel free to stick around! 

I am sure others will post--- but the most recommended/basic starting books are Adoption for Dummies and An Idiots Guide to Adoption.  In addition to books, keep your eyes and ears open to find your own local resources.  While it's not necessary to work with an agency in your hometown, it's often a good place to learn about adoption w/in your state and community.  

Again, I am so sorry for your loss...

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • imagesilliestbunny:

I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't imagine your pain. 

We've got a lovely group of women and a man or two here...feel free to stick around! 

I am sure others will post--- but the most recommended/basic starting books are Adoption for Dummies and An Idiots Guide to Adoption.  In addition to books, keep your eyes and ears open to find your own local resources.  While it's not necessary to work with an agency in your hometown, it's often a good place to learn about adoption w/in your state and community.  

Again, I am so sorry for your loss...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Ooops, sorry about the above post.

I wanted to say I'm so sorry about your loss and wanted to also suggest the books silliestbunny suggested. I read both of them and they were great!! We researched 5 different agencies before finally deciding on one.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I"m sorry for your loss.

The pp had some good places to start. Also, if you scroll down a page or so, this was asked recently and there are some good resources (book and website) that you can cull from the responses.

• Hello!

I am so sorry for your loss, I can't imagine what you went through.  I saw your blog link at the end of post so I started reading some of your posts, your strength is amazing.  Thank you for being so open and sharing your story.  We (this board) can't wait to get to know you better!

Personally, we are doing foster to adopt, so I can' thelp you or offer any advice with domestic or international adoptions...but there are alots of folks on here who can!  Good luck!

Welcome to our board! Stick around! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"