Working Moms
Options

Using FMLA and then leaving job

After discussing the cost of daycare for two infants versus my income and then all the other changes and responsibilities we have coming our way, we have decided that I am going to stay home with the babies.

I am in Ohio, and work for a very large national company.  My employer gives 12 weeks 100% paid maternity leave.  Is there anything I should know about quiting once my 12 weeks is up?  I don't feel comfortable asking my supervisor about this, because I honestly don't want them to know ahead of my taking leave that I don't plan to return.  I've been told by numerous family and friends that I shouldn't say anything UNTIL I give notice.  I certainly plan to give them notice before my 12 weeks is up, but I do not plan to "return" to work.  Is anyone aware of any liability I'm leaving myself open to?

I know the simplest thing might be to just call my HR line, but I have this insanely, irrational thought that if they find out beforehand it wouldn't be good.  Should I just call them?  How open about my intentions should I be?  Thanks for the advice!

Re: Using FMLA and then leaving job

• Options

Usually you have to go back for a certain amount of time to ensure that you won't have to pay back a portion of what you were paid while on maternity leave.  I have a good friend that did the same thing.  She never said a word while pregnant or while she was on leave and went back to work when the time was up, then after a few weeks she gave her notice.  I think in total she was only back at work for a month, but it was enough that she wasn't penalized.  HTH.

JMA 2/26/09-9/28/09 MMA 11/22/10
  • Options
    AlisaSAlisaS member
    Yea - thanks for perpetuating the idea that working women of childbearing age can't be trusted as honest employees. Pretty much sucks.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Uggggggh.

This is exactly why companies don't like to hire women who are pregnant or of childbearing age (legal or not), and why so many assume that women who work will screw their company over.

Do the responsible thing and let them know before you go out. They're paying you that money and holding your job because you're an employee they value and would like to keep. It's not right to have them pay you out and hold your job in this economy, only to leave them holding the bag.

imageimage
  • Options
    AlisaSAlisaS member

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/16580269/ShowThread.aspx#16580269

This is what is so ridiculous about these types of posts - women can make these decisions and disreagrd the ramifications for other working mothers.

• Options
    Just ask!  I made sure to do my research before hand which made it easier.  I asked this question to HR as a speculative one (which it totally was at the time since I wasn't pregnant yet) and in our case the answer was I wouldn't have to pay anything back.  I ended up going part-time, not quitting, but I was aboveboard about those plans the whole time (my boss knew what I wanted to do from the time I was 4 months pregnant and helped me work it out).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Talk to your HR dept before making  your decision. Many companies will require you to pay back any amount you earned while "on leave" if you don't return. I know that even though I DID return to work, I still have to pay back the health insurance premiums that my employer covered for me while I was on leave.
  • Options
    I would never, ever hire someone who stuck her co-workers with her work for 3 months (!!) then stabbed them in the back. And I certainly wouldn't give a good reference for someone who did that, either.
  • Options

imageAlisaS:
    Yea - thanks for perpetuating the idea that working women of childbearing age can't be trusted as honest employees. Pretty much sucks.

My thoughts exactly. 

• Options
    What you're doing sounds very unethical and selfish to me.  You're on your own to figure this one out. 
    DS1 born 3/30/09
    natural mc @ 10w4d 3/7/10
    DS2 born 9/13/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

i thought i was going to leave my job at the end of my leave.  I told my boss i wasn't sure what i wanted to do, because honestly, i didn't know.  I ended up wanting to go back early.  I was required to work 30 days after returning to keep my 100% maternity leave pay - i ended up working for several months until i was laid off. 

I think if you know for sure you don't want to come back, and you work just 30 days (or whatever) to keep the $$, that's pretty crappy.  if you're honestly not sure, then talk to your HR rep and tell them you'd like to know how the policy works so you can make an informed decision.  if your HR has benefit information online/in print form you may be able to find out that way as well. 

• Options

This has been bothering me since you posted as I also find this to be selfish.  But, I think what bothers me most is that your company will hold your job for you because they have to by law.  That would also mean laying someone off, just so your job was safe.  Personally, I find that worse than having to pay back any money.

I too work for a large national company, one that it always rated in the 10 as a "Best Places to Work" and I know that in a few months we are headed for layoffs.  Who knows, they may give you more for saving someone's job.

• Options
    I would check with your HR dept. You can ask them things and they have to keep it confidential. Usually you will have to pay the money back or compensate the company in some way by returning to work for at least 30 days. I agree with the pp's. You should do the right thing and let your employer know your intensions. Perhaps you can use your PTO to supplement your income after you leave your job.
  • Options
    Very unethical. Actually, it's pretty much stealing.
  • Options
    Unless you have signed something, I wouldn't think there would be a liability.  I wouldn't give them notice before your 12 weeks is up, they might just stop paying you that pay period & discontinue your maternity leave benefit.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebruincouple:

imageAlisaS:

My thoughts exactly. 

This.

So you want them to pay you 100% on mat leave, hold your job while making the other employees work twice as hard because they legally can't hire a replacement, then you are going to call them up and be like, "Oh, btw, i'm not coming back, so all that time you could have been training a replacement, you're just SOL. And thanks for the free money."

This is crap. If you do this, good luck ever finding another job.

• Options
    imagebruincouple:

imageAlisaS:

My thoughts exactly. 

This.

So you want them to pay you 100% on mat leave, hold your job while making the other employees work twice as hard because they legally can't hire a replacement, then you are going to call them up and be like, "Oh, btw, i'm not coming back, so all that time you could have been training a replacement, you're just SOL. And thanks for the free money."

• Options
    imagegosse1km:
    imagebruincouple:

imageAlisaS:

My thoughts exactly. 

This.

this.  don't do it.  it makes it harder for all of us to be taken seriously.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

If you know for certain that you won't be returning, I think you should tell them beforehand.

However, many women really can't make that decision until it is time? Some women that plan on not returning to the workforce want to. Others that plan on returning, find that they can't.

I would ask your HR rep what would happen in the hypothetical situation that you weren't to return, what the consequences would be.

Also, to someone that said they would have to lay someone off to hold a job - were there layoffs - that is not the case. If a position is eliminated, it doesn't matter about maternity leave - it's not protected in that regard.

• Options

Thanks for perpetuating the stereotype that women can't be professionals.

You're an assshat.  Glad I don't know you.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"