D.C. Area Babies
Options

Ways to encourage labor starting?

I just had my 37 week check-up and due to a prior medical procedure, my doctor said that my cervix may be slow to open. So, he encouraged me to start doing some activities to encourage the labor process. Other than intercourse and nipple stimulation what have other people tried? (and did it work?)

Also, when people say "nipple stimulation", what are we talking about here? I think I read it somewhere that you're supposed to do it for an hour. That seems like a long time and I might be raw after that.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Ways to encourage labor starting?

• Options

When they say nipple stimulation, it really is for a long time.  At our birth class, I think the nurse said something like "An hour or two of pumping a day for a week will help get labor started" 

That makes me think that it doesn't actually work--you could just spontaneously be going into labor too!

Nothing worked for us, but I ended up getting induced at 39 weeks 5 days due to GD, so we didn't go crazy with different methods.

• Options
    Think gravity!  Walking, walking, walking...and get an exercise ball to bounce/sit on.  These types of activities pull down the baby and push on the cervix to get it opening!!!  GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

you're going to hate me saying this but what really worked for us was S-E-X! 

well that and walking, lots of walking

• Options

my OB told me not to do nipple stimulation, I don't remember exactly why but it releases a chemical into your body so they really don't want you doing that.

I walked every single day, at least 30 mins, most days 60 mins, and DD was still 4 days late. 2 days past my due date I drank raspberry leaf tea, 1 cup; the next day I drank 3 cups (was peeing even more than I did before and I was practically living in the bathroom before), and the next morning I had my baby. Did it work? yes, no, maybe; it was probably a coincidence.

I read that when the baby's lungs are mature, they release a certain chemical that starts labor so there is not much you can do to go into labor earlier. But you can still try.

Have lots of sex if your DH is willing:)

• Options
    imageSofka:

my OB told me not to do nipple stimulation, I don't remember exactly why but it releases a chemical into your body so they really don't want you doing that.

The chemical released is oxytocin, which causes uterine contractions, so if your OB thought this was not the best course of action s/he may have recommended against it...but it sounds like it was OK'd by Vtkendra's doc.

I don't have any first-hand experience on how to start labor, sorry! But all of the above (long walks, sex, raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation) have worked for doula clients.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSofka:

Have lots of sex if your DH is willing:)

I already told DH about my appointment this morning and he was VERY pleased with the doctor's advice. LOL.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had DD at 38 weeks and there was no progress at all up to that point.  I swear what helped was I went to the mall and walked all over that place two days before I had DD.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lots of walking
  • Options
    I hate to say this since it's not exactly a ton of fun, but I really believe that the heavy house cleaning that I did leading up to labor really made things progress more quickly.  But, I didn't just do a light dusting...this was a big cleaning! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well, nothing worked for me.  I walked at least 2 miles every day, bounced on my exercise ball all night long, had sex, drank raspberry leaf tea, made this eggplant parm recipe that's supposed to start labor https://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/eggplantparmigian.shtml, cleaned the house like a mad woman......all to no avail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"