North Carolina Babies

NBR: Dh has a torn ACL ...

I'm really starting to think we have a black cloud over us... but I also realize all of this is fixable and really we just have to suck it up and deal with it..it could be a lot worse.
Dh has a torn ACL and meniscus (sp) he will have surgery next Wednesday.  Thankfully it is outpatient and he should be back to "normal" in less than 16 weeks.  The say the first week or so is pretty tough but after that it is smooth sailing so maybe our vacation plans aren't completely out the window (not that that is my biggest concern by any means!)
Anyone have this surgery and can give me any pointers? 
I guess the good that has come out of this is I realize how much my DH really does around the house and with grady.  I'm ready for him to be back 100% that's for sure!

Re: NBR: Dh has a torn ACL ...

• Um, my dog did a couple of years ago, but I guess that doesn't help you does it?

I feel your pain though, DH is probably going to have to have shoulder surgery, possibly on both shoulders this year.  I do not look forward to the recovery time.  Even when they're not really doing much, just having the extra set of hands around the house means alot! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DH had it done about a year and a half ago. They operated on both legs (they took what they needed from his good leg). The biggest thing is to keep the leg and knee moving. His Dr had him up and walking an hour after he came out of surgery and DH swears up and down that is the reason for his super easy/fast recovery. He went to PT a few times a week and they stretched his knees and also broke down a lot of scar tissue.

His PT suggested that we buy a bike for him to ride at home (we found an old school exercise bike on craigslist for $10) and he rode that a few times a day to keep this going.

So I would say, ice/ice and ice some more, keep it elevated right after surgery and get to exercising it as soon as the Dr lets him.

I have a full photo documentary of his day from checking in to surgery, after surgery and recovery Smile (it was his first surgery and doing this kept my mind off things).

• Loading the player...
  • I tore my ACL playing soccer at the end of my sophomore year of high school.  I had arthroscopic surgery and it didn't really work and then had my ACL reconstructed right before my Senior year.  That's a pretty major surgery.  It requires a lot of PT, like 3 times a week for a while to strech out the tendon that they fused in my knee.  I couldn't drive for a few months either.  I'm sure they've made lots of advances since then (that was 1995).  Is he having to have reconstructive or something else? 

Such a bummer that he's having to go through that but at least it's not football season, right?!?!?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• No advice, but I am sorry to hear that. ?I hope he feels better soon and the surgery is effective and he can get back on his feet quickly.
  • Wendy they are doing something called an alliegraph (not sure if I spelled that right) via arthroscopic surgery. They will take a ligament from a cadaver and put it in his knee with a screw and little pin. 
  • imagemarryingacoach:
    Wendy they are doing something called an alliegraph (not sure if I spelled that right) via arthroscopic surgery. They will take a ligament from a cadaver and put it in his knee with a screw and little pin. 

Maybe it won't be too bad.  They took my patella (sp) tendon out of my same leg and fused it as my ACL and that's what had to be stretched out so much and it was very painful.  Hopefully what they are doing is not as involved or it's just way more advanced.  Knee problems stink.  Mine still gives me problems and I can barely do stairs, that's why I have a one story house and always will!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Oh no. I'm so sorry. Hopefully his recovery will be speedy and easy!
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• Good luck during surgery this week.  Hopefully he will have a quick and relatively painless recovery.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"