Working Moms
Options

Would you hire a nanny/babysitter who brought her child?

I'm an assistant preschool teacher with several years of nannying/babysitting experience that will be staying home after the baby is born.  Eventually I would love to nanny or babysit again, bringing my child with me (probably when he is a toddler, around one or so).  I used to charge $8-10/hr, but would be charging less since I'd be bringing my own child.  Would you ever consider hiring a babysitter or nanny that brought her child with her?  I honestly think it might be more difficult to find a job because I assume most people will prefer the one-on-one attention they would get from a nanny who doesn't have a child.  Just looking for general thoughts.  Thanks in advance!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you hire a nanny/babysitter who brought her child?

• Options
    I would. I was a nanny for several years and took a different job shortly before getting pregnant with DC #1. It was always made clead that if I had a baby while working for them it would be fine to bring the baby with me. I nannied for 3 families and this was the case with all of them. When I left the family hired a new nanny. By this time they had 2 kids and one on the way. The nanny got married shortly after starting with them and had a baby a year later. She is still with them and takes the baby with her every day. The kids she nannies for are now 8, 5, and 2 and her baby is a little over 1.
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member

I would consider it, sure.  I do have a friend who had a bad experience with that (the nanny really only focused on her own kid instead of my friend's).

Actually, our original plan was to hire a family friend to nanny and bring her own kid.  We couldn't settle on a fair price, though, and it didn't work out. (Now we're both expecting #2, so I'm thinking she won't be able to handle 4 at once and it'll never happen now.)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

if you do this you need to have a plan (and contract) written up that protects the family that hires you from any litigation if your child is to get hurt on their property. That would be a big concern of mine... if your kid gets injured then you sue me, etc.

• Options

As long as you're sharply discounting the rate, it may not be an issue.  There's a socialization benefit.

Logistically, you'll have to figure out how to handle you or your baby being sick and how you'll handle doctor appointments and other errands.

• Options

Our daycare lady will have our DD and her own DD and I had no problem with that. I got to meet her DD and she is a sweetie, I might have been apprehensive if she was a handful, though, just because that would mean less time focused on our DD.?

?

• Options
    I would.  In fact, this could be the "answer" to my childcare dilemma should we have #3.  Where in MI are you?  lol!  ;-)
  • Options
    AlisaSAlisaS member
    SInce you have extensive experience with kids, I would consider it. If you didn't I wouldn't.
  • Options
    I would definitely consider, at not just for a toddler.  I think it would provide the socialization that I love from daycare, but also give DD more personalized attention.  However, like a PP, I have a friend who did this and had serious issues w/ her child being ignored while the nanny was totally focused on her own child. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Never.  I would worry that the nanny/sitter would play favorites and give their child more attention.  I would rather pay more money for someone to focus just on my child.  I'm sure others would be open to it.
  • Options

I am a nanny and I bring with my son who just turned one. I care for 4 children between 2 and 4, as well as for my own. I do not play favs. and I also do not have a discounted rate. They are getting someone who comes to their home, cooks and picks up after their children, along with activity planning, and their children are happy and safe when they return. I will be finished with this family in a couple of weeks as they need someone who can give more time than I can (12 hrs/day, 5days/week) And, next fall, I will have another child, and I fear that 6 children would be a bit much for one person handle while they are that young.

It has worked well, and I would also consider a mom as a nanny if we are ever in the position to need childcare. 

• Options

I have 2 kids (3 1/2 and 9 months). DD was in a DC facility for the first 3 years and we went with a nanny when I returned to work after #2 came.  I would absolutely consider hiring a nanny that brought her child.  Sometimes I think DD gets a bit bored just having the nanny to play with.  I am starting her in preschool 2 days a week next fall and her brother is gettting more interactive, but I would still consider it.

That said, it would be important to me that the nanny's child overall have a decent temperment (I've met some kids that there is no way I'd want my child with them day in and out) and you'd have to agree to disiple so as to ensure a consistent style.  As far as discounted rate, I don't think you should pay the same as if the person was only watching your kids.  I would also consider what additional things you would 'pay" for (e.g. will the nanny bring her own diapers for her child, what about food, etc).  When you have a nanny in your home, all those costs add up, so consider that as well.

• Options
    This is my exact situation - I wanted this in fact. I like that my DS has a buddy to play with. We pay $10 an hour and I'm guessing that a nanny in my area would get between $15 and $20. When #2 comes I'll pay $15.
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    I would consider it but with some reservations.  A neighbor was burned by a nanny who brought her own DD, same age as the neighbor's DD, and practically ignored the other girl in favor of her own.  Major diaper rash, house was a wreck adn so on.  So I'm a little leery of that but only because someone I know had a bad experience.  Otherwise, I think it can be a good thing because of the additional socialization.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options
    If the applicant had previous nannying or teaching experience, I'd be pretty interested.  I like the socialization aspect.  If I got the vibe that the applicant had never nannied before and just wanted to find a way to get paid to be at home with her own child, I wouldn't be interested. 
  • Options
    flyer23flyer23 member

DD was in a nanny share from 4-12 months of age where the nanny brought her own 4-year-old daughter. (So there were three kids total -- DD, the nanny's daughter, and the other family's daughter.) It worked out great. The nanny's daughter was an absolute sweetheart and DD simply adored her.

Today was our last day with our sitter who'se been watching DD since she turned 1. This sitter has two school-age boys, and it also worked out really well.

I think it helped that in both cases, the nanny's kids were older and very self-sufficient, so the nanny still could give DD a ton of attention. I would have more reservations about an infant.

BTW, I don't know where you live exactly, but $8-$10/hour is a great rate for in-home nanny care even in my LCOL area, so I don't even know that you'd really need to discount further!

Mommy to DD1 (June 2007), DS (January 2010), DD2 (July 2012), and The Next One (EDD 3/31/2015)

• Options
    Ali212Ali212 member

No, I would not. ?We have a nanny and she is with our daughter only during the day (not counting all the playdates they have, classes they go to and other things they do). ?It's just not my approach for our childcare for various reasons.?

5 IUIs | 4 IVFs | 2 sweet little girls Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our nanny brings her little girl. She is 3 months younger than DD. I love it...2 reasons ~ 1) DD has the opportunity to socialize more (I also nanny-share so there are a total of 3 kids) 2) it reduces our costs as she is willing to work for less but still makes more than having a different job and having to pay her own DC costs.

Another great thing...our nanny is planning on getting pregnant shortly after I do so we can continue with our arrangement after DD #1s are in pre-school.

• Options

absolutely and this is my situation now. it depends on the exact situation and on the nanny herself. our first nanny did not work out and part of the reason (amongst others) was that she brought her DD and her DD was tearing up our house, wasn't supervised closely enough while interacting with my then-3mo baby, etc. our nanny now has worked for us for a year and a half and just had her first baby. so for a year and a half it was just her and DD and she really proven herself and has formed an amazing bond with DD. i didn't even hesitate in letting her bring her baby with her to work and so far it is going perfectly. DD loves her nanny's son and it's been like big-sister-training. it'll be interesting to see how it goes once our second is born and our nanny has 3 children in her care.

as for price, i do feel that it should be discounted somewhat but am not sure how much. i think that we are going to keep our nanny's pay the same when we have our baby - sort of considering that the perk of bringing her baby to work evens out the extra work of having another child of ours to care for. i have no idea what the norm is there but we're trying to just stay open and communicate with our nanny about expectations there.

• Options
    Our babysitter has a 3 year old and we love it-- she entertains Kaden and teaches him alot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"