Houston Babies

Forbidden food poll

What "forbidden" food did you eat while pregnant?

*This is not meant to start a debate about what is safe and what is not it is meant to make me feel better for eating sushi.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Forbidden food poll

• lunch meat and soda
  • I drank at least one coke a day and sometimes ate an entire pint of Starbucks coffee ice cream. ?I also ate lunch meat, drank a glass of wine in 3rd tri, and had sushi twice.
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor didn't even want me eating cooked sushi but I did anyway. I also had some unpasteurized blue cheese, a glass of wine or two near the end, and those are the ones I remember.
  • I pretty much ignored all the food rules during my second pregnancy.  I drank one cup of coffee each day, I had the occasional glass of wine and I ate sushi and soft cheeses with impunity.

• PAGASPAGAS member
    I ate sushi (often), soft cheese, raw eggs (Hollandaise and poached), hot dogs.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • PAGASPAGAS member

imagemelrrr:
    My doctor didn't even want me eating cooked sushi but I did anyway. I also had some unpasteurized blue cheese, a glass of wine or two near the end, and those are the ones I remember.

Why no cooked sushi?  Cross contamination?

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • There wasn't very much I could eat but I craved sushi and ate it against my doctors orders.

?

• I ate sushi, soft cheese (although it is hard to find unpastaurized cheese here so I wasn't too worried), drank coffee and coke (a ton of coke towards the end) and ate the crap out of some lunchables. it was almost the only thing i could eat during the 1st trimester.
    -Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I drank at least 1 Dr Pepper a day during my whole pregnancy.  I also ate raw cookie dough!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • i had equal in my decaf coffee every day.

i drank diet coke by the gallon on weekends that i had to work. 

i ate cooked sushi. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was drinking either coke or iced tea (with Sweet-n-low) for pretty much every lunch.  I think some soft cheese snuck in some salads, but like pp said - it's hard to find unpasturized cheese in the US.  You pretty much have to specialty buy it.  I did have hot dogs every once in awhile, but I didn't really realize they were off limits!  Oops!  I guess b/c of the nitrites?

I remember being drunk/drinking several times in the first 7 weeks of my PGcy before I found out.  Oopps.  But I did refrain from alcohol the whole rest of the time.

• Hot dogs, diest sodas.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Coffee. Very much limited, but still coffee....
  • 1 coke/tea per day, random lunch meat/hot dog episodes.

No alcohol..yet.

We'll see when the inlaws come for the shower...

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • real cocoa, coke, diet coke, sushi a couple times, tea by the gallon (not decaf), lunch meat, feta, bean sprouts from a salad bar
  • the only thing that would make my 20 week m/s go away most of the time was a real, full fat coke.

once i was over the m/s, i went back to my daily cup of coffee (i will say that after that morning cup, if i ordered sbux or anything, i'd get decaf.  not because i was worried but because i was really effected by caffeine during pregnancy.)

lots of sushi and cheeses.  oh, and subway once a week.

• mom2llmom2ll member

everything on the list...  I'm bad...

• coffee, an occasional hot dog, an occasional dr pepper, soft cheese (pasteurized though)?

• I didn't have anything forbidden during my first trimester, but I was having strong caffeine withdrawals. So after the first trimester I had chai tea every morning and either an iced tea or coke for lunch. I also had deli meat once in awhile.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I had coffee daily and occassional sodas and tea. I also ate lots of sushi, but always something that was cooked or smoked. I think I had one glass of wine towards the end.

• Lunch meat and coffee.  My biggest craving was Subway.  I ate it at least once a week...minimum.  I can hardly stand to go there now...lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Suzi-G-Suzi-G- member
    Uh so far?  Hot dogs, lunch meat, a few cokes, a cup of coffee a day.  And I ate everything in Honduras, even though the guidebooks say not to eat produce unless it's cooked or peeled.  I ate the salad. I guess I belong on the naughty list.  But in my defense my midwives are really laid back, they haven't said one word about food "don'ts" except alcohol.  Not yet at least, I guess I might get in trouble next month.  Stick out tongue
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • coke, coke and more coke, deli meat, soft cheeses
    Wyatt James born September 14, 2008
  • lunch meat

soda

chai tea (caffiene)

sushi

soft cheeses

wine

• imageBritanyV:
    I also ate raw cookie dough!

Why does this creep me out waaaay more than suhi ever could??

• Sushi, tea, coffee, Dr. Pepper, hot dogs...........
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm on a roll.  I've had lunchmeat (several times), caffene every day and steak cooked medium.

Edit:  I've also had soft cheese (when H isn't looking).  He thinks I should just eat cheddar and deal with it.

• LisaK2bLisaK2b member
    Did ya'll all eat raw sushi like it was no big deal??  I only did it when I was further along (like 3rd tri) and would only have 1-2 pieces of the spicy tuna roll.  I really really want a whole spicy tuna roll, but can't get myself to eat it right now without being freaked out or feeling guilty. 
    Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • I eat whatever I am in the mood for.  My doctor has no restrictions on anything... He's very much an 'everything in moderation' kind of guy. 

(until I fail my glucose screenings... then he expects me to follow the diet to a T. hehe)

~*~Jenn~*~
  • PAGASPAGAS member

I ate raw sushi like it was no big deal at all.  I have never once been sick from sushi.

I also ate steak blood rare.

Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • LisaK2bLisaK2b member
    imagePAGAS:

I ate raw sushi like it was no big deal at all.  I have never once been sick from sushi.

I also ate steak blood rare.

OHHHH...I love my steak rare too!!!  But still do scared to have it...well...at least until late 2nd tri.  brave brave girls on here... hahaha

Lisa. mommy to Emmy and Ally image
  • If I didn't have a cherry coke every morning during my pg someone was going to get hurt. My fav lunch was Jimmy Johns and a cherry coke. I ate hot dogs, and deli meat. I only eat my steak rare and I had champagne on NYE. I also had a glass of wine or two in my 3rd tri and ate raw cookie dough around Christmas when I was making cookies. I listened to very few food rules.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • i was told by someone who was told by their doctor- if the sushi won't make you sick not pregnant, it's not magically going to make you sick when you are pregnant. so, eat places you trust and it shouldn't be a big deal. also, the kind of sick that would get from sushi would really only affect the mother unless you get too dehydrated and don't seek medical attention. it would not affect the fetus otherwise.

i think it was kat who had a page from a book wher ethe dr who wrote it said he didn't even know where this no sushi rule came from...

• imagerayskit10:

i was told by someone who was told by their doctor- if the sushi won't make you sick not pregnant, it's not magically going to make you sick when you are pregnant. so, eat places you trust and it shouldn't be a big deal. also, the kind of sick that would get from sushi would really only affect the mother unless you get too dehydrated and don't seek medical attention. it would not affect the fetus otherwise.

i think it was kat who had a page from a book wher ethe dr who wrote it said he didn't even know where this no sushi rule came from...

?

I have a friend who acquired a parasite from bad sushi. ?She actually retrieved the parasite from the toilet, preserved it, and took it to her doctor who confirmed it was probably from the sushi. ?She had to take some medicine to kill what remained in her digestive system. ?I imagine that's probably risky to a pregnant woman. ?Though that situation is rare.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"