North Carolina Babies
Options

Have you considered home schooling?

I know most of our babies are a few years away from school...but this has been on my mind a lot lately. My sister home schools her kids (the cuties in my siggie!) and I keep thinking about all of the benefits of it. I am kind of neutral on sending DS to school or keeping him home. Obviously I have time and who knows what our lives will be like then. But anyway I was wondering if any of you ever think about it??
image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001

Re: Have you considered home schooling?

• Options
    Yes, I have entertained the idea. But only in the right circumstances. I would want to be a part of a bigger home schooling network so my child could be with other kids and take field trips, play sports, do social things, etc. I think if it is done right, it can be a very good thing. I would not want it to be just me and my child all day long, I don't think that would be good for either one of us. My DH is not on board though. And where we live now, the schools are very good. But if we were in an area where the schools were not good and I did not feel my child was getting the attention she should, I would definitely look into it more, as long as we could be a part of a network. Another thing though is I have always wanted to be a teacher, so this may be a part of why I am interested :)
  • Options
    Im just not smart enough to do it or have the patience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We talked about it a lot WAY before we had kids.  DH is a teacher and he used to think that the would prefer to homeschool.  Now, he feels that he's prefer for our kids to go through the school system.  I agree.  We are pretty picky about what schools we want Nate to go to, and we're already looking into moving so that we'll be zoned where we want Nate to go.  If things in Wake County turned to total crap, we'd probably consider homeschooling again as an option.... but I'd also look into private schools too.  I think DH and I both love to work too much and neither of us would want to quit our jobs to homeschool.

• Options

I'm not interested in home schooling at all, but we have talked a little about private school.  But one of the reasons we live where we do is because it's in a good school system.  We weren't even married when we bought our house and I still insisted it be in a good school system, because I didn't want to have to move when our kids started school.  Who knew what our situation would be that many years down the road? 

I think home schooling can be done right, but I think most of the time it is not.  I know the home schooled kids in my hometown were unadjusted and "outcasts". 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I personally oppose homeschooling and have definitely not considered it as an option for us.

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• Options
    No, we will not be considering homeschooling.  Although both DH and I have Ph.Ds, I don't think we are equipped to offer enough knowledge in each subject that I feel is important to build a good foundation for college.  This is especially true, IMO, for kids in middle and high school when subject material becomes much more specialized in each class (vs. the general reading, writing, math in elementary school).  Granted, there are plenty of teachers that are not great at what they teach but we plan to explore both public and private schools to find the one that will offer our children the best chance for the future.  I also feel a child just does not get the same type of socialization they would get in a school setting.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    H&W05H&W05 member
    It never even crossed my mind. Our neighbor homeschools her 4 children and I have no clue how she does it. I wouldn't have enough patience and I'd always be worried my kids are not learning enough or learning correctly, plus missing out on social interaction. I give props to those who can do it though!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    To each their own, but homeschooling is not for us.  DH and I definitely plan to take an active role in Nolan's education and his school, but I think there is a lot you learn in school besides just academics.
    Catching up on sports news...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I don't know how to teach. ?If I ever considered it, I would go back to school and take a large number of education classes first.

I just feel like, yes, I know how to solve very complex math problems, etc., but I surely don't know how to teach you to do it and I would get frustrated if you just don't get it.

We would consider moving if we need to. ?They keep rezoning us :( and right now we are in a good elementary school, but not the best middle school. ?I also would consider private school if need be.?

• Options
    Like murph, we plan to take a very active role in DD's education.  But there is no way I could homeschool.  Way too much responsibility for me to make sure she learns everything she should.  I do plan to be active in the PTA, check her homework daily, and work on extra learning experiences outside of school, but no to the homeschooling thing for us.
  • Options
    cmbrowncmbrown member
    Nope.  I think school is good for kids.  They need the socialization.  I just really think school is so good for kids.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"