Pregnant after 35
Options

First trimester screening/tests for AMA

Hi girls - I have an appt next week w/ my obgyn and I know we'll discuss all the testing/screening that's offered to me.  I was wondering if anyone had a list or a website that has everything (all tests) offered.  I would like to do some research this w/end before talking w/ high risk dr and my obgyn.  Thanks so much.  Kel

Re: First trimester screening/tests for AMA

• Options

I just googled to find info when I was researching, but babycenter has a list of all prenatal testing, which includes the AMA stuff.  https://www.babycenter.com/0_prenatal-tests-an-overview_326.bc

The ones you would be specifically interested in are the nuchal translucency (NT) scan, quad screen, CVS, and amnio. 

The NT scan is an u/s combined with bloodwork.  The quad screen is bloodwork.  They are considered screening tests and results are presented as a risk rating.
    The CVS and amnio are invasive and involve a needle used to extract material from the placenta or uterus. They are considered diagnostic tests and results are presented as definitive.

Ask about things like timing of the tests (for example, you can wait to have the amnio until after your 20 week anatomy scan u/s to see if there is any indication of potential problems), rate of false positives and false negatives, risks of complications, etc.

We're here if you have more questions.  GL!

DD1 is 3, DD2 is 1.
  • Options

I don't have much to add to what Pahokie said....just wanted to let you know that some of the books tough on it, too. For example, What to Expect When You're Expecting (I think there's even an over 35 version) and Pregnancy Week by Week. They give you the abc's of testing, also.

Let us know if you have questions!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't have websites for you, but my experience was that I was so freaked out after my NT scan that I opted for the amnio anyway.

My NT results weren't horrible, but I got in this weird worry loop because the NT is only what chance something could happen, it's not a diagnostic test.  I decided next time I might just cut straight to the cvs or amnio, so I don't have that worry.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"