Birth Stories
Options

Adelyn's Arrival

Our sweet baby girl finally came at 40 weeks and 6 days.

Adelyn Claire was born on May 21st, 2009 at 9:21 pm at 9 lbs 9.3 oz. and 21 1/2 in long. I was scheduled to be induced on Thursday b/c I was only 1cm dilates and wasnt progressing any further. My husband and I checked into the hospital on Wednesday night to start cervadil and then they started the pitocin the next morning at 6:15. A couple of hours later, my doctor checked me and I was still only 1 cm dilated, so she broke my water and placed an internal monitor on the baby and put in an IUP to monitor my contractions. All of this dilated me to 4cm. I went into this with the intention of going med-free, but was not close minded to an epidural either. My nurse performed a few more checks and I was at a stand still of 4 cm. I was having pretty intense contractions, but I couldnt get out of the bed which sucked b/c that made them even worse, so at around 10:45 I asked my husband what he though I should do and he said "honey, get an epidural, it doesn't say anything bad about you and I don't like seeing you like this", so I requested one and they bolused 1000cc of fluid in and at 11:15 I got an epidura;. What sweet, immediate relief that was. The only thing that was bad about it was that it had Fentanyl added to it which is a narcotic and it made me itch, they gave me 3 doses of benadryl IV, but eventually I had them switch out the epidural bottle with one that didnt have Fentanyl in it. The next hours are kind of hazy and ran together, I was tired so I dozed in and out while watching contractions on the screen. I knew that they were consistent, but not getting any stronger, which meant that they probably werent dilating me any. I could feel that I was running a bit of a temperature, but it wasnt to the point where the nurses were concerned. I was checked a few more times and still nothing, I was still only dilated 4 cm. At around 8:45 pm, my doctor came in to do a check and as soon as she put her hand on my leg she said that I was extremely hot. She said that I was still only 4 cm and then she gave me "the look". Sher asked me what I thought I wanted to do and I already knew what she was indicating. I had been on pitocin for over 12 hours and was not progressing. I asked her if she though we should do a c-section and she said yes.

So, they started to prep me for surgery and everything was going so fast that I didnt have time to get nervous. They got dh to get everything out of our room and I said bye to my family that was there and they wheeled me to the OR. DH joined a few minutes  later dressed in scrubs (it was so cute). I had a washcloth over my eyes b/c it was so bright, but I think it helped calm me down a little as well. I was so worried about him passing out, but he was a champ. I could feel when they made the incision, it wasn't painful, just a lot of pressure, followed by a lot more pressure. DH said that it kinda freaked him out b/c I was jerking from being tugged on. I knew when they had actually gotten to the baby b/c they said "she's a big girl, you wouldnt have been able to deliver her anyways" So Im thinking, oh my gosh, how big is she?! As soon as they pulled her out, she started screaming and it was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. DH kept looking at her and then looking at me with tears in his eyes. I have never loved him so much. They took her to dry her off and do her Apgars which were 8/9 and then dh brought her to me and I just stared in awe. She then was taken to the nursery to get cleaned of and weighed. I still can't believe she weighed 9lb 9.3 oz. but I would much rather her be a little big than be small. Our days at the hospital went great, Im still a little sore from the c-section, but I try to get up as much as possible to work those muscles. Adelyn's bili levels were a little high so they had to be monitored, but we were able to come home on Sunday. Nursing is going well, we are having to supplement until my milk comes in b/c she is so big. She is such a good baby and such a wonderful blessing to our family. I love her more than I ever could have imagined.

So this is my birth story. Thank you for reading. God bless and good luck with all of your little ones.

Re: Adelyn's Arrival

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"