Baby Names

Jack is short for Jonathan, right? What else?

Lately we've been throwing the name Jack around. I'm just wondering what else besides Jackson is Jack short for? I love Jackson, but our last name is something like Thompson or Peterson and it just sounds dumb to together. Too many "son" sounds.

So, what else is Jack a nickname for?

Re: Jack is short for Jonathan, right? What else?

• Jack is a nickname for John, not Jonathon. And Jackson. You could just name him Jack.
  • imageKLSC04:
    Jack is a nickname for John, not Jonathon. And Jackson. You could just name him Jack.

Eh, John is a nickname for Jonathon, hence Jack is a nickname for Jonathon, too.

I feel like Jack is such a nickname....like there should be a proper name behind it. Names just bug me like that.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think there is a need for a proper name for Jack.  If that's what you are going to call him, then just name him that.  My opinion. 
  • Lambie.Lambie. member
    imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:
    Jack is a nickname for John, not Jonathon. And Jackson. You could just name him Jack.

Eh, John is a nickname for Jonathon, hence Jack is a nickname for Jonathon, too.

I feel like Jack is such a nickname....like there should be a proper name behind it. Names just bug me like that.

Jon, not John is a nickname for Jonathon.

• I don't think John the Baptist was actually Jonathon the Baptist.?

I'm pretty sure John is just "John." ?

• imageBluesmoothee:

Lately we've been throwing the name Jack around. I'm just wondering what else besides Jackson is Jack short for? I love Jackson, but our last name is something like Thompson or Peterson and it just sounds dumb to together. Too many "son" sounds.

?

So, what else is Jack a nickname for?

I've never heard of a Jonathan called Jack. Why not just Jack? ?

• imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:

I disagree.  John is its own name.  So Jack is a nn for John, not Jonathan.

• imageLambie.:
    imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:

Semantics!

• imageBluesmoothee:
    imageLambie.:
    imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:

Eh, John is a nickname for Jonathon, hence Jack is?a nickname for Jonathon, too.

Semantics!

Not really. ?

• i honestly have never heard jack as a nickname for john or jonathan.  i think of jack as its own name
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've never heard something named Jonathan called Jack...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I know that Jack is a nickname for John (a la John F. "Jack" Kennedy) but I've never heard of it being used as a nickname or Jonathan.

imageimageimage
                                     **DS 12/17/10** **#2 Due 2/14/15**

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageLambie.:
    imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:

Agree.

John is not a nickname. It is a proper, full name. Jack is a nn for John.

JON is a nickname for Jonathan.Two completely different names.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagenewportbride715:
    imageLambie.:
    imageBluesmoothee:

imageKLSC04:

Agree.

John is not a nickname. It is a proper, full name. Jack is a nn for John.

JON is a nickname for Jonathan.Two completely different names.

Ditto this.

I agree with the OP on Jack seeming like a nickname and needing a more formal name.  But that formal name is John, not Jonathan.

Of course it's your kid -- you can do anything you want.  But if you named your kid Jonathan and called him Jack, people would think you were odd.  Or they'd think you had no idea about what nicknames matched what names.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • Our son's name is just Jack. I love it that way! That's what I think you should do.
  • ehhh i've known several people who were jonathon's who went by john. (with an h). it does happen. and my gf was a john/jack.
  • berry25berry25 member
    I've never known a Jack who was a Jonathan, or a Jonathan who went by Jack.  Two separate names.  Jack as far as I have seen it is its own name, except when used as short for Jackson.
  • imageloumertes:
    I don't think there is a need for a proper name for Jack.  If that's what you are going to call him, then just name him that.  My opinion. 

This. Jack is a great name on its own. Also, Jack can be a general nn for most anything. C.S. Lewis was named Clive Staples, but went by Jack his whole life. My uncle was named Augustus, but I didn't know that until his funeral b/c I never heard him called anything but Jack.

• You can do whatever you want! We have a friend named jonathon buy he goes by Jake. I didnt even know his real name till I saw it on is wedding invite!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For Santasake!  You can name him Aristophanes and give him the nickname Jack.  That's the beauty of a nickname. 
    3 out of 4 dead babies agree! pepsi is better than coke! - EdithBouvierBeale
    Lordy. Grow some balls and stop lurking. It's like stealing from the internet. Jesuschrist. -- AudreyHorne
    I hate love and marriage. I got married so I could destroy these things from the inside. - NoisyPenguin
    It's a good thing my circle of trust is as giant as my vagina. That only leaves a couple people out. - Cali
  • berry25berry25 member

imageGroomzMcFinehiney:
    For Santasake!  You can name him Aristophanes and give him the nickname Jack.  That's the beauty of a nickname. 

Well of course you can.  But not without people thinking it's bizarre.

• Jack can be used on its own. It is also a common nickname for Jackson and John.

My DH is John (and no - JOHN is not the nickname for Jonathan - JON is) and thankfully doesn't go by Jack.  I only say that because my name is Jill Wink.

I love the name Jack though!

• i never heard as jack as a nickname for jonathan, even though i know its a nickname for john. jackson is cute. i this its cute just to name a boy jack though. its a solid name, adorable for a little boy, and still fits for a teen and adult!
  • I have only known Jack to be short for Jackson...unless their first name was just Jack. I didn't know it was short for John.
  • LMS05LMS05 member

Jon- nickname from Jonathan like Jon and Kate plus 8

John- full name. example: the book of John in the Bible or John the Baptist

Jack- nickname from John, but it is a stand alone name

Jack is NOT a nickname from Jonathan.

• imageLMS05:

Jon- nickname from Jonathan like Jon and Kate plus 8

John- full name. example: the book of John in the Bible or John the Baptist

Jack- nickname from John, but it is a stand alone name

Jack is NOT a nickname from Jonathan.

This.

• If I have a DS his name will be plain ol' Jack. I have heard it used as a nn for almost every name starting with J.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"