South Florida Babies

feeding time...

Since Karen was talking about the high chair...I was wondering what the mothers out their feeding their kids solids already are doing, what they recommend, what they regret, if you're making your own food what do you suggest, and anything else you can think about.

Since some of us are 1st timers and we are starting our registry I'd like to get your input b/c you guys always have great advice.

Re: feeding time...

• I never made any of my own baby food. I was way too lazy. I just bought the jars in bulk from BJ's or whenever a store had a sale or I had coupons.
  • nestle goodstart sends me coupons all the time for their babyfood, so i buy mostly theirs lol  But I will buy the Gerber Organic or Earth's Best as often as i can.  I am not fond of Beech Nut, though... I can't bring myself to buy that brand.  I want to start making my own food, but to be honest, it's so much more convenient to buy it ready made.  In a perfect world, where Abby isn't screaming at me becaues she's hungry/tired/wants to be held/wants to be put down/wants to be in the pack n play/swing/bouncy chair/etc... I would be able to make a few week's worth of meals and freeze them.  I just never seem to find the time! 

I wouldn't register for food, though...they have expiration dates.  I would register for the munchkin or gerber spoons and maybe some little bowls... oh and some formula/cereal holders! 

And some advice- most Gerber food comes in the little plastic containers... save them once they're empty!  If you do plan on making your own babyfood at some point, they're the perfect size to store and freeze the food in!

• Loading the player...
  • I buy pretty much all the brands... Earth's Best is the one I like the best but I also get Gerber Organic and Beech Nut. Zachary seems to like all of them!! I wish I had time to make food for him but so far I only have time to try to cook and feed me & DH in a healthy way! :)

However... I'm hoping I can start to make a few purees at some point once Zachary starts showing an interest in eating more exotic foods.

My parents introduced "different" foods to me early on and I'd love to start very early with my little guy so that he'll be content eating whatever we are when he's bigger.

Right now though, I am too lazy to make my own food. I do take the time to feed him 3 meals a day but making the actual food myself is going to have to wait until I get the hang of it better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: SIREN.ORG!

• I make my own food and it's really easy.  I have the Kid Co freezer trays. I only have one set and part of me wishes I had another.  I really like to cook, so for me it's really no big deal.  www.wholesomebabyfood.com is where I get all of my recipes.  You need to make sure you have a blender.  I used to use the food processor, but everything comes out better in the blender.  It's a really small investment for the freezer trays if you decide you want to try it. 

Also, you can do some homemade and some store bought if you really wanted to.  For instance, I don't make my own oatmeal - I buy the box and mix in my water or breastmilk.  All of her fruits and veggies I do myself.  Bananas for one are super easy - open banana, mush with fork, serve.  

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • TayLynnTayLynn member

I've only made his baby food so far. 

I use https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ as a great rescource of some do's and don'ts.

Sweet potatoes, bananas, and avocados are all good first foods and easy to smash up with a fork.  I add a little breast milk to thin them.

You can freeze a lot of things in ice cube trays and then pop them out into a zip lock bag.  Each cube is approx 1 ounce.  They don't eat much at first.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageTayLynn:
    They don't eat much at first.

Unless you're Zachary and ready to start eating five course meals three times a day after a week! LOL! :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• TayLynnTayLynn member
    LMAO!  You are Zachary's catering service!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We made Cedric's baby food.  It was surprisingly easy.  We started with that same website the others mentioned and moved on from there.  We made it all each weekend and froze it in small servings.  I would take out a few each night and put them int he fridge, then take those to daycare the next day. 

We used those small take-n-toss containers--they held around 4-6 oz, I think.  Gerber also makes small bowls with lids, and we used those, too.

I kept meaning to try the jarred food, but we never got around to it, so I have no opinion on them one way or the other.

• So far the only things Zachary doesn't like are carrots and macaroni & cheese. So sad - I hope he grows to love it when he's older, like I do! :) I tried to give him a baby food mac n cheese tonight and he just spit it all out and cried!! Poor spoiled baby :) Thankfully I'd already heated up his squash for him so I was able to satisfy his hunger immediately. LOL!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thnx ladies...I plan on making my own baby food but that will change depending on how much time I really have.  Thnx for the websites. Btw Karen, my brother was opposite than Zachary...when he was a baby he'd eat everything.  I mean EVERYTHING!!! Once he got into school he became picky eater and still is (@ 20 yrs old).  I'm still trying to convince him to try foods.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"