LGBT Parenting
Options

debating about whether or not to do HSG

When we met with our RE for the initial consult, he said that if insurance would cover a HSG, he thought we should do it now (if it was not covered, he'd only order it if there was cause to be concerned about blocked tubes). I checked with insurance, and while they won't commit to covering it (grrrr), it sounds like it will probably be covered.

I spoke with the RE's office this morning, and they can get me in for a HSG next Tues. They said they usually like to do them CD5-10, but it is okay for it to be up to CD14. On Tues, I'll be on CD12.

Should we do it? There is no chance it could hurt anything, right, as long as I haven't ovulated yet? I don't want to jeopardize this cycle AT ALL.

married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure

Re: debating about whether or not to do HSG

• Options

If it's covered, than do it.  It can save you time and money in the long run.  Both K and I had them and they were painless (although I know some ladies post about horrible experiences).  Also, I have read that for the month or so after the HSG your odds of conceiving are higher.  Maybe because things are cleaned out? Idk. 

As far as hurting anything - no.  The only problems I've heard of arising are from women who have vaginally/uterine infections that they get flushed up into the tubes.  As long as you're all clear on that front you should be fine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

As unfun as it sounds, go ahead and do it, especially if it's covered! You will feel so much more confident in your cycle if you know you are all clear. Two is right, the few cycles following an  HSG you  said to be more fertile.

Our RE wants me to have one before I cycle but I am dragging my feet because it isn't covered.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    2brides2brides member
    I concur to do it.  I had one done and while I found it painful for about 1-2 minutes, it was comforting to know that all was clear in there and we weren't wasting our money each month.  Do you know where Dr. S wants you to have it done?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    image2brides:
    Do you know where Dr. S wants you to have it done?
    Apparently Dr. S does it himself, but over at Washington Radiology on K.
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • Options
    2brides2brides member
    Ah...I had it done at Washington Hospital Center by an Intervention Radiologist and didn't have a good experience. I've been told that women who have an RE do it have a MUCH better experience.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

it won't mess up your cycle or hurt anything. there is data that says that you're more likely to have success on the next few cycles after the test. our RE said they speculate that the test sometimes clears small blockages (sometimes ones they don't even see) without having to do more involved treatment.

it was painful for my wife, although the pain immediately stopped when they finished the test--and that was with taking 4 ibuprofen an hour before the test as our RE recomended. you might ask about that and see if there's something they would advise you take before you go in for the test to minimize any pain.

• Options

I had one done which was good beacuse it turned out I had a blocked tube on one side. that way we knew that any follicles I had onthat side were useless so we had to wait for mature ones on the otherside to trigger. The discomfort was worth the knowing.

~Kennedy

PS contractions suck :o)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"