Detroit Babies

Registering

Dh and I think we will start registering in the next couple weeks. Anyone have any tips for us?

Like how many bottles, onesies, sheets....

Any products you can't live with out?

TIA!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Registering

• Ditto on the request! We are heading to register this weekend! Big Smile
  • I used Baby Bargains- there are a lot of good guidelines in there for all that stuff.  After we registered, I had a handful of new mom friends take a look and give feedback, and the book seemed right in line with what my friends said.  Have fun!
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely do research before you go.  I had a good idea of what I wanted before I even went to the store.  Then when I got there, I just made sure I liked the item.  Saved a lot of time and headache.

What you need and how much of each is really personal opinion.  Like with onesies.  Since it was fall/winter when DS was born, I always put a onesie on under his outfit to keep him warm.  So for me, I had about 10 plain onesies in each size.  Then with bottles- part of it just depends on how often you want to wash bottles.  Most babies seem to eat every 3-4 hours.  I can probably get away with just 2 crib sheets.  I do laundry at least once a week.  The mattress fits so snug in the crib that it's really hard to change, so I only wash it once a week.  We've been fortunate that DS doesn't have too many leaks, so we rarely have to change the sheets because of that.

As far as must-haves, I got great use out of all the "big" items.  Since we have a colonial and DS hated his crib the first couple of months, he slept in his pnp (they almost all have the bassinet insert).  It has a little changing station too, so that's where we changed him.  The swing was a lifesaver- it'd put him right to sleep.  The bouncer was great when he was awake and wanting to play, but we needed both hands (like dinner).  He loves his playmat and still uses that.  Once he got older he LOVED the jumperoo.  So much so that we bought a second one for my parent's house.  He also loves his activity table.  It's Bright Starts Around We Go (I think).  It has a seat that he can walk around the table and play.  It's nice because when he's walking, the seat comes off so it saves on room and he can still use the table.

The only items that have been a waste are just some small things.  The cute towel bathrobes were one.  We always dressed DS immediately after giving him a bath.  We've actually never used our Diaper Champ.  The changing table is upstairs and it's just not practical to always change him up there.  The dollar store sells these diaper disposal bags.  They're like a mini grocery bag and they're scented.  So we just tie the diaper up in there and throw it away in our normal trash.  Our trash then gets changed daily.  We haven't had a problem with smells at all.  Those bags are also nice to keep in the diaper bag when going out.  I know people rave about the swaddle me's and sleepsacks.  If you deliver at Troy Beaumont, they give you a Halo sleepsack with a swaddle.  It was nice to calm him down when he got extremely fussy, but he'd get so hot in it and would sweat like crazy.  So we didn't use them too much.

Whew- that got pretty long winded.  Can you tell I'm bored a twork :)  Anyhow, if you have any other questions, just let me know

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely agree w/ Renee! Research, research, research!!!  I spent a TON of time on the Bump, through all the trimester boards, compiling a list of what people said was useful.  When we went to register, the woman who was getting us all set up said it would probably take us 3 hours- we were done in an hour.  My DH was very grateful that I had done my homework!  :) 

My 2 absolute favorite things I could not live w/out were: a Boppy & a full-sized swing.  I actually used 2 Boppys- I for upstairs & 1 for down, so I didn't have to bring 1 w/ me everywhere I went.  The swing was invaluable- DS wouldn't sleep in his crib until he was 6 months old & the only way he would sleep @ all before that was in his swing.  I kept it right next to my side of the bed & it worked out perfectly.  Oh & I tell everyone to get a video monitor- I LOVE ours!  And when the sound sounded being on the fritz, I called the company & got another one, so now we have 2.  :)  They make me feel so much better because I can watch DS.

Renee is also right about it being your own personal preference.  I had a winter baby & never used onesies!  :)  Maybe I was too lazy, but I hated all those layers on DS.  Especially since he usually peed all over his clothes when I changed his diaper, which meant a whole new outfit!  I also never used the hooded towels & baby wash cloths are probably unnecessary since you can just use regular ones (although I use our wash cloths as baby wipes since we CD).

There is sooo much more, but you'll get it on your own.  :)  Trust me, it's all about trial & error.  There's stuff that we registered for that I laugh @ now.  :)  Have tons of fun registering!  I wish I could register again when we have another baby- it was so fun!!!  :)

• Thanks everyone!

Renee and stef - thanks for the input I will keep it all in mind! Wow only 1 hr to reegister! I am impressed! Godo to know abou the bath robes/hooded towels! They are cute but if they are useless we will save our money!!

Jenny - I do have baby bargains and found it very helpful for the crib and mattress. I researched all the big items already also but if you don't mind I am going to check out your registries (since I know you name) BTW if you don't know I am jewels1042 from the knot! lol We need to plan a lunch soon.

I will make a post about it!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you! I'm picking up baby bargains today!
  • No problem Julie!  I knew it was you anyway:)  We actually didn't register for a ton of little stuff since we figured people would buy what they wanted anyway- plus my friends said what the other moms on this post did- it's a lot of trial and error and we didn't want to end up with a ton of stuff we didn't use.  We only registered at BRU.  Check it out and let me know what you think!
  • Oh yeah and most def on the lunch!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"