Illinois Babies
Options

Midwives or Birthing Centers in Chicago recs?

Anyone know of a great widwife or a birthing center in Chicago? I don't want to deliver in a typical hospital setting if I can help it.

Thanks!

Baby Girl #1 Gabriella Jane Image and video hosting by TinyPicPregnancy Ticker

Re: Midwives or Birthing Centers in Chicago recs?

• Options

I just found some interesting info about Chicago area midwives and alternative birthing center on this blog: https://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?p=13091540

I hope this helps!

• Options

I went to a midwife group that delivers at Prentice...so not a birthing center, but you can make your own requests with them. ?They do water births - what I wanted but had meconium so had to forgo. ?I went no drugs and didn't feel any pressure to do anything. ?Julie Omar CNM delivered, but all the midwives (Derringer, Hirschfield, etc.) were spectacular and would have been happy with any of them!

They're in the northwestern memorial groups.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I switched at 33 weeks to West Suburbun Midwife Associates in Oak Park. They deliver at an alternative birthing center inside West Suburban Hospital.

The group was highly recommended by several people and if you look at online reviews such as Yelp, you will see nothing but high praise for the practice. They are three midwives, which you'll meet. They also work with a collaborating ob-gyn (per state law, I think). I haven't met him, yet. Their office staff is great as well. They take most insurance. If you don't live too far from Oak Park, you should check them out-- initial consultation is free.

• Options
    I've been going to Gaye Koconis with North Shore Associates OB/GYNE.  I'm at 24 weeks so I haven't been through the birth with her but I really like her.  She's very laid back but gives lots of information and things to think about.
  • Options
    I'm also with the women at West Suburban and they are indeed fantastic. I switched at 33/34 weeks and just met the collaborating OB-GYN.  Unfortunately, he turned me off so much I actually thought of going back to NMPG. I don't understand how he agrees to work with them when his philosophy is completely at odds with theirs. He told me I could always get a c-section within the first minute of meeting him. The consultation went downhill from there. The midwives are great, however and if I stay it will be because of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"