Cincinnati Babies
Options

To bumper or not to bumper????

Do you have one/ not have one?

It seems a lot of people are opting not to use a bumper because of SIDS risk (after research I was surprised to read it was because of lack of air circulation, not suffocation) but then, they sell them everywhere so more people are probably using them than not....

All the info out there is so confusing. I was thinking of getting a breathable bumper.. .using it for the first 6 months or so, then putting the "real" bumper in when risk of SIDS goes down.

I've been a nanny for 12 years.. .all the babies I've ever watched have had them. But now that I'm pregnant I think THE most annoying pregnant comment is "Oh geesh.... we did all that stuff/used all that stuff and my kids turned out just fine" so I don't want to take that attitude :)

Just curious what you did/didn't do and why??? The bedding we picked out.. I'll admit the bumper is what sold me! It's SO sweet... but also really thick.... which has me questioning....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: To bumper or not to bumper????

• Options
    We have a breathable bumper. I felt like it was the best of both worlds: it allows for the air to flow through, but keeps her from getting her arms and legs stuck in the slats. It's not as pretty as the bumper that would have matched our bedding, but I feel better about it.

Photo by Melissa Nicole Photography

imageimage
  • Options
    We did not use our cute bumpers or the quilt because of the SIDS risk.  Once DD was able to roll around, I bought some mesh breathable bumpers for the bed to keep her from getting her limbs through the slats.  I did use bumpers and blankets with DS, but that was eons ago before those things were attributed to SIDS.  I never even gave them a second guess and never had any problems with them.  I think you will see answers from both sides on this one.  I love the cute bedding you picked!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We did not have one until DD stopped with the swaddle and started rolling at night, and that was 6 months. So we got a breathable bumper and kept that in until 11 months. Around then, she got a little rowdy at night and started hitting her head a little hard when rolling at night, so we moved to the original PBK bumper we had. It's been fine so far.

I had no problem because by the time we used the bumper, the risk of SIDS was pretty low and we had the breathable bumper, which I highly recommend. I loved the peace of mind it provided!

• Options
    We have a bumper, but Ava didn't sleep in her crib before 6 months anyway (our preference).  The risk of SIDS drops after 6 months, so by the time she was in her own crib I was fine with using it.  I also never worried about suffocation since she could roll by the time she was sleeping in her own crib.  That being said, a breathable bumper is a good option if you're really concerned about using one, but FWIW I have seen where they are not recommended as an alternative to regular bumpers--the SIDS research people say nothing at all.  But if you opt to use one you'll still have your cute theme in the room after you have the crib skirt, sheets and the quilt hanging somewhere in the room.  That bedding is adorable by the way!  You'll definitely be able to boy or girl it up, or it's fine on its own.
    Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options

We also used the breathable bumper. She slept in her PNP until she was about 6months. She started sitting at that point. When we moved her to the crib we put in the breathable bumper until she was about 10months because she LOVED to push her face up against the sides of the crib.

So her arms or legs were also poking out. After that age though she really started moving around alot more in her crib. DH and I would hear her banging her head against everything, so we ended up putting the regular bumper back in. She doesn't sleep against it now so we have no worries.

• Options

We have always used a bumper.  We co-sleep halfway hrough the night whenever she wakes up. 

But she was in a bassinet by our bed until almost 3 months, then by the time she was really rolling in her sleep she was 6 months old and that's when the risk drops anyway.  Now she kind-of cuddles up to it when we lay her down - she puts her forehead up against it.  I can't imagine not having it, I feel like it makes her crib look a little more inviting and a little less then a jail cell.

I say feel it out and see what works for you.  If I had a 4 month old that rolled a lot in her sleep I probably wouldn't have used it.  But it never seemed like a risk in our situation.

• Options
    klink11klink11 member

We have one and at 7.5 months have yet to run into an issue.

* FWIW - I have an older sibling who is Crime Lab Tech (one of those CSI people, yet not one TV) anywho, in her 15 years on the job, she has yet to observe one case of SIDS attributed to a Bumper. Not to say they couldn't be a factor,  but just in her experience it was never the case. She has 2 children and she used a bumper with both until they were old enough to stand on it. As a "Crime Lab Tech" they have to attend classes mandatory by the state and more recent studies show that SIDS may be linked to genetics. Crazy enough I know! High risk factors are African American, Native Americans, males, & homes of smokers. (Not trying to offend anyone but those are in fact true statistics).

If you are overly concerned get the breathable bumper, it will soothe your nerves. I do hear a lot that those don't prevent the bumps on the head once tots become "mobile" but by then you are pretty much over the hurdle and can then put the bumper back in. By then it's a comfort thing.

Good luck, it's a tough decision. Motherhood is tough.

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
    Baby #3 Due Date: ? TBD at ultrasound on 10/30
  • Options
    kel716kel716 member

We did until DS started pulling up on stuff (which was at 6.5 mos).  Then he started using the bumper as a "step".  I freaked and was worried that he'd climb out using the bumper.  I have a monkey.  He's been cruising his crib since he was 7 mos, and walking with his shopping cart since 7.5 mos.  Needless to say the bumper had to go... it's now in the closet.  The quilt is draped over our chair, and we use it when we're snuggling.  That being said, I still love our bedding and I wouldn't trade it. 

• Options
    We didn't do any bumper at all. To be incredibly blunt, if something had happened I would have always questioned why we chose aesthetics over practicality. I know that SIDS isn't necessarily BECAUSE of bumpers, but I would always wonder.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Options
    We had a bumper in DS's until he started using it to try to climb out of his crib.  It protected his head from smacking the rails b/c he moved around so much.  It is definitely a personal decision and you may put it in and then take it out or vice versa after the baby arrives.  Good luck with your decision and the bedding is ADORABLE!!
    Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

• Options

First of all, I LOVE your bedding.  that is the sweetest thing ever!

Second, we have always used a bumper and have never had a problem.  DS didn't start becoming an active sleeper until around 6 months like pretty much everyone else that responded.  I worried a little about the risk of SIDS, but everyone is going to worry about something.  I loved our bedding so much that I didn't think it was necessary to go out an buy a breathable bumper when we already had a bumper.  Everyone has their own opinion and it is all about what you will be most comfortable with.  

Kristen & Mike 7/2005
    Griffin 10/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We've never used a bumper.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Never used any kind of bumper. I meant to buy a breathable one, but didn't get around to it and now she would probably just pull on it. 

She loves pressing her head into the corner of her crib to sleep and let me tell ya, that's not where her head bruises and bumps come from, it's the cruising! Stick out tongue

image Ready to rumble.
  • Options

We didn't use a bumper for months 0-7.  Around 7 months, DS started getting really mobile in his crib and was bumping his head, poking out limbs, etc., so I put the bumper in there.  It's still in there now at 21 months and we've had no troubles.  He hasn't tried to use it as an escape mechanism, either, knock on wood.  I think we'll be ok with it until he's in his big boy bed.

I agree with little-peanut, though, it's all in what your own comfort level is.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options

We didn't use any bumper at all when they were newborns, but once they started rolling around and getting limbs stuck in the crib, then we got a breathable one. Our girls both had issues with getting limbs stuck in the slats and this prevented that, but we never even considered using a regular bumper.

• Options
    I've used regular bumpers with both girls.  They were/are tightly swaddled in a Swaddle Me blanket and can't move around much anyway. 
    ~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I used a Cozy Wedge for most of my daugther's first year. I liked that it kept her away from the small space between the mattress and the crib. Although the mattress fits so well! Now we do have a bumper, because she loves to sleep curled up in the corner with her head pressed up against the crib! She is 14 months.
  • Options

We still have Bens bumper up and hes almost 14 months. This topic came up on my national boards and I took it off for about a week, the last day (which is what did it) I woke up in the middle of the night to Ben screaming, went into his room and his whole thigh was stuck in the slats so I put the bumper back on. Its a hard choice to make but so far its been okay for us

ETA- Ben was about 2 months old when this happened

• Options
    Thanks ladies! You've given me a lot to think about!
  • Options
    we do not. AAP suggests against it.
  • Options

We never used one.  Why pay money for something extra that you don't need and is not recommended for safety reasons? 

In the state of Ohio it is against the rules to use them at all in childcare centers. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"