Pittsburgh Babies

5 month old still not sleeping thru night...

My son is 5 1/2 months old, and he's still waking anywhere from 1-2 times/night. I'm starting to get really tired and not sleeping thru the night is wearing on me physically. I've tried letting him cry himself back to sleep when he wakes, but he just gets more hysterical and my husband and I can't sleep. *He's breastfed* and eating solids - cereal + veggies. I would have thought he'd be full enough to sleep thru the night, and the only thing I can do is nurse him back to sleep.?

Any advice??

Re: 5 month old still not sleeping thru night...

• My advice ... get used to it! :) In all seriousness, I worried because my daughter was not sleeping through the night like "everyone else's" kid. Well, it turns out that everyone's version of "sleeping through the night" is different. Some people use that to mean up to 6 hours! In my opinion, your kid really is hungry. I nursed once a night for quite a while. It was faster for me to get up and nurse her than it was to listen to her cry. And as usual, talk with your pedi at your son's next appt.
  • Some babies just aren't ready yet. Mine didn't sttn until around 7 or 8 months I think. We used the Baby Whisperer's book's shh/pat method to get him to sleep, then I used it to put him back to sleep when we eliminated the night feeding (I breast feed too). I knew he was ready for that because he'd start to fall back to sleep as soon as he'd start to eat, telling me that it was obviously him waking out of habit rather than need. Tough it out...you are most likely getting near the point when he will start sttn.
  • Loading the player...
  • Our ped, calls sttn when she sleeps at least 5 hours straight. with that being said, our lo goes to bed about 830p and will wake up about 2am and then again she is up when I am getting ready to run out the door at 6am everyday for work. Just be strong when they are ready they will stop the feedings themselves! plus I know our lo wakes more when she is teething!
    Kristen&Randy Married:6/30/2007 Had Faith 6/17/2008 Robbie 10/12/2011 image photos by Oh What Love Photography and Design imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • believe me, the ones that tell you that their baby is STTN at that age and breastfed are LYING TO YOU.  like Labatt's said, get used to it.  Mine's 12 months and still wakes twice a night as well.
    JeanBean&Sam Page me if you want access to view my blog. image
    Photo from our own Valkaz
    imageimage Missing our baby angel. Forever in our hearts little guy.
  • He might be teething.  Try orajel. My daughter wasn't sleeping through the night for almost a year.  then we put her into a bigger bed and she's been sleeping 10 hours straight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"