Special Needs
Options

cooker71

Hi there,

First of all congrats on your beautiful new son!!

It seems that we have a mutual friend Minnasmommy!

I replied to your post below, but if you ever want to chat please email me at jessica at mysandford dot com..

I had a very similar situation in that we had NO IDEA that Caleb had Downs when he was born. In fact we didnt find out definitely until a week later..

Anyway, you will be AMAZED at how much that little boy is going to teach you! 

Congrats again!!! :)

Re: cooker71

• Options

Hi I've been meaning to contact you, but have (obviously) been pretty busy. :)

Your DS is adorable. That's really neat to hear he's not very delayed. I'm curious if he hit his milestones somewhat close to average babies or whether he was/is somewhat far behind. DD was so advanced physically it's going to be hard not to compare.

Miles has very good tone, according to doctors, passed his hearing test and echo cardiogram so we are hopeful he may be on the milder side as far as physical delays/disabilities, though we know only time will tell.?

Nora Judith 7/2/06 Miles Chauncey 4/20/09 born with Trisomy 21 - Down syndrome
  • Options

lol I figured you'd get around to it eventually, when your kids let you! Wink

C was so strong when he was born!! He also passed his hearing test and had no complications with his heart. He was discharged from the cardiologist when he was 6 weeks old and we never looked back!

We had EI (early Intervention) come out ASAP. When they did the evaluation, he would not have qualified for services (b.c he was that strong!) but b/c he has a diagnosis he automatically qualifies.

Since we've had him in EI, Caleb really isnt delayed. He is age appropriate in gross motor (physical) and developmental (DI). And that is based on a typically developing child, not a child w/DS.. Most kids w/DS dont walk till around the age of 2.. C has been walking for about 3 months now! We are a little behind in speech but not terribly. He has speech therapy once a week, as well as PT and a teacher.

We have him enrolled in a local hospitals developmental program. Its nice to go to a Pediatrician who deals ONLY with kids who have dev. issues. We only go twice a year to make sure he is where he needs to be. Once a year he has a full eval to test his developmental skills. We've only done this once since he isnt 2 yet. At 12 months he scored on one test at a 16-18 month level so he was actually AHEAD of schedule.. MH and I almost fell out of our chairs!!

Anyway, sorry to ramble on ( I am just so proud of all he has accomplished) but it just goes to show that their life, or yours is not over.. I dont know about you but I knew very little about Down's and was devastated.. But what could I do but make the best of it?? I cant imagine my life without this little monkey!!

If you have ANY questions, please dont hesitate to page me or email me!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"