Success after IF
Options

Biggest waste of money?

In your ladies opinions, what baby items are the biggest waste of money?  What should I not register for/not buy?  The volume of products out there is just amazing and everything is marketed like its an absolute necessity!  Its so hard to weed through everything to register for/buy only the necessities!  TIA!

Re: Biggest waste of money?

• Options

baby towels. I think we have 10 (and I returned a bunch!) and used them for about 3 months.  I wish we had only kept 2.

Now ds is too big for them so we use full size towels.

Also baby robes.  Especially in the winter!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    This is going to vary so much from person to person. What one baby loves another may hate. We still use baby towels every night! But for us the biggest waste was the jumparoo, DS hated it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMr.&MrsS:
    This is going to vary so much from person to person. What one baby loves another may hate. We still use baby towels every night! But for us the biggest waste was the jumparoo, DS hated it.

lol Bright loves his jumparoo!

Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    For me it was the bedding set... I wish I would have used that $$ for other things!
  • Options

imagemrsnemitz:
    For me it was the bedding set... I wish I would have used that $$ for other things!

We didn't buy ours (my mom did) but I totally agree with this!  

• Options
    Receiving blankets. ?We got a ton of these and never really used them. ?I know some people use them as spit up rags, but we just never took them out of the closet after Betsy was born.
    Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • Options

DS HATED the swing!! ?

He loved the bouncy seat and would fall asleep the minute his little tush touched it. ?

Swaddles helped me through a ton of sleepless nights! ??

~Olivia~
  • Options

Wipe warmer.  We got two for some reason- one holds wipes but has never been plugged in and the other is still in the box in the closet.

We used receiving blankets all the time- we swaddled our girls in them.  But we had swaddle-me blankets that we never used.

• Options
    Bumbo seat, boppy (I used the maternity Boppy for me and then it works perfect still for DS) infant socks ( I stayed up way too much at the end of my pregnancy worried that I didn't have enough. DS was a summer baby and NEVER wore them!) basinette for us- used it for maybe 3 days, sleep positioner, and for us the miracle blanket.... it didn't work well for us.
    imageimage
    Married 8.13.2005, M/C 12/8/06- 5 weeks, M/C 2/27/07- 7 weeks, M/C w/ D&C 8/10/09-6.5 weeks *Charles Lawrence born 5/2/08 @ 3:14am, 7lb 8oz, 20.5 inches. Clomid, Crinone and baby aspirin. *Alexandra Claire born 9/14/10 @ 9:52am 6lb 14oz, 20.5 inches. Femara, Crinone and baby aspirin. Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

we loved the baby towels!  I do wish they were bigger- but i loved the little hood- and we now have toddler sized ones for DS with the hood.

any burp cloth that is cute and frilly - and thin... total crap.  the best are the ugly cloth diaper plain white ones that are thick.

DS hated his swing- total waste of money... we sold it. We now have a swing we got at a yard sale and will use that... if they don't like it- no money lost.

DS LOVED the jumperoo, though-so that was 100% worth the money- but it's something you could buy used on Craigslist easily and save $$$.

wipe warmer - we never had one- never needed one.

crib set - total waste... this time around we just got coordinating sheets + breathable bumpers, and I made a crib skirt. You never (or should not) use the comforter or bumpers.

• Options

Baby robes and blankets! She has 6 robes and too many blankets to count.

We have a wipe warmer and although it's not necessary, I think it's nice to have. It's only a $20 item, and makes nightime diaper changes less startling.

• Options

New clothes - we load up on adorable baby clothes at Goodwill for 49 cents an item, and DD looks adorable, is comfortable, and hasn't seemed to suffer from permament humilation.

Never had a need for a wipe warmer or a bottle warmer.

We never had a bedding set, and I can't imagine how we'd use one if we did.

Don't buy too many diapers, or open too many packages.  You just don't how long, if at all, they'll stay in newborn size, and you'll get some at the hospital.

Thermometer - you don't need anything fancy, a plain old regular one works -we we were given one in the hosptial.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tina623tina623 member

The crib bedding set.  Sure it looks great but in the end I wish we would of bought a bunch of coordinating sheets and blankets.  You never use the comforter anyway and you end up taking the bumper off after baby is born. 

We had 5 different play mats and only used 1. 

A big swing.  My dd loved the swing but it was to big to lug around the house.  Get a small travel swing and you can move it/take it anywhere and it folds up almost flat. 

Bumbo..girls hated it.

Sleep positioners..never used them.

.. and toys (j/k) my girls would rather play with a water bottle and an empty yogurt cup than all the toys we bought lol.

OH and a travel bottle warmer, they really suck and it takes forever to heat up a bottle, let alone two. 

twin girls after 43 months of TTC.. Katherine Emily (5 lbs 12 oz 19 1/4 in) and Karly Elizabeth (5lbs 7 oz 19 in) imageLilypie!!My bio!! !!My Blog!! imageimage

• Options
    Ditto on the wipes warmer and bathrobe...for babies, that is; my 2.5 yr old LOVES her warm robe after her bath. Infant dresses and "nice" clothes for boys. They grow out of them so fast and they look so uncomfortable on a "floppy" newborn. I have had my twins in sleepers since they were born. I just started putting them in regular clothes b/c they are bigger and fill them out more appropriately.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"