Preemies
Options

Will a squashed ear fix itself?

My daughter has a sort of squashed, pointed ear, which I assume is due to the cartlige being so soft when she was born early.  She favors sleeping on that side, so she is always squishing up that ear.  I do try to encourage her to turn her head the other way.  Obviously flattening out the ear with my hand while she feeds or sits with me isn't enough for a change.  Will this correct itself, or do I have to worry about DD being teased for having a funny ear? :(

Obviously there are far more things in life that could be worse, but this makes me feel bad for her and wish there was something I could do.

Re: Will a squashed ear fix itself?

• Options

Yes, it'll fix itself.

Robbie's ears were REALLY funky for a while. And really it's only been the last few months that his ears are starting to feel like ears. THey were really soft up until then.

• Options
    I was just lurking over here and think I have an answer.  Before I was born, I sucked my thumb a lot and my nose got totally smooshed to one side.  Every day my mom had to push it back over.  It eventually straightened out and is normal now.  Obviously if she is sleeping on it it will take longer to straighten out, but I am sure with a combination of you pushing on it a little bit and her eventually changing how she sleeps it will be fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's right ear was squished down, sort of bent over at the top, when she was born.  The NICU just had us put, and keep, the hat on her head and make sure her ear was in the correct position when we did so.  Eventually, her ear was fine.  We just gave it a little help.
  • Options
    Campbell had a funky ear too.  It resolved pretty quickly.  However, I have one ear that is a little pointy at the top.  It's only noticeable to my family who like to make fun of me
  • Options

Yes. It's just like ds's nose. It was so squished in the birth canal for so long that it was literally bent sideways and he could not breathe out of one nostril. His head was also a MASSIVE cone shape. He actually lost an inch in height the first week of his life because his head was changing shape and becoming more round!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not necessarily. ?DS's ears would fold over when they were soft but we could (and did) unfold them regularly. ?Then one day I noticed that the edges of one ear had folded over and fused. ?So no he has one that is fused and one that is curled. ?In reality, it's only the very edge and likely no one else will notice, but it can happen.
  • Options
    i remember saying to a nicu nurse "i know i have bigger things to worry about, but when you put the cannula around his ears could you make sure his ears are tucked nicely". ?they rarely were, and they always looked squished. ?he has nice ear now, so don't stress...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"