Breastfeeding
Options

2nd Letdown?

I am back at work and pumping every 3 hours, but am only getting a total of 2-3 oz. per session and only 1 letdown.  Early on (first 8 weeks or so), I would have 2 let downs, but haven't in a long time.  Am I not pumping long enough or is it normal to not have a 2nd letdown?  I am so discouraged b/c I am pumping 6 oz. at work and my DS (5 months) is eating 4-6 oz. per feeding :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2nd Letdown?

• Options

I have a second one most sessions, but it does take a while longer than it used to.  I'd say I have to pump an extra 5 minutes to get to it now.

FWIW, my supply dipped at 5 1/2 months -- have you tried all the tricks to get it up?  More Milk Plus, changing parts, massage, compression, etc.?  Good luck!

• Options
    My DS started getting VERY distracted while nursing about a month and a half ago and just wouldn't ever finish.  I think that messed up my supply majorly.  I have been taking fenugreek and haven't seen a difference.  I just bought More Milk Plus.  Has it made a difference for you?? I am just not responding to the pump the way I used to. The parts are all ok (I have an Ameda Purely Yours and it is in very good condition).  I have to do a lot of massage and compression and at the end of each session, I can still get more out via hand expression (streams, not just drips).  I am not sure what's going on.  Any help is totally appreciated.  I really want to continue pumping and feeding DS BM, but if I am only getting 6 oz all day, it really doesn't seem worth it with the time I spend jus ttrying to get that each day (that's after 3 30 min. sessions).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I still do but it takes forever.  Sometimes I have to start the letdown phase of my pump 2 or 3 times before it finally triggers the second letdown.
    imageLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes, More Milk Plus worked pretty well for me the first time I used it. I had a second supply slump and it didn't work as well.  It was still worth it, though.  Have you tried oatmeal?  I just started eating it for breakfast ,and it may be a coincidence, but I think it made a difference.

I don't know much about the Ameda pumps, since I have a Medela PISA, but I do know even when I thought my parts were OK, switching them out still helped, the membranes in particular.  It may be worth it just to try.

I feel for you.  Pumping/supply issues are really stressful, and 6 ounces from 90 minutes sounds super frustrating.  Good luck.

• Options

I just went back to work last week and had to pump all day for the first time.  I have a Lansinoh pump (same as Ameda) and I was only getting an ounce or two a session too, but I still felt engorged by the end of the day (my pump wasn't emptying me).  I went to see a LC, and she tested my pump and it was working fine, so I rented a Medela hospital grade pump for a week to see if it made a difference.  With the Medela pump, I was getting twice the milk I could from mine, so I ended up buying a Medela PISA.  My LC said the suction in Medela pumps just mimics the baby better than Ameda/Lansinoh.  HTH!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"