Preemies
Options

XP: Baby Proofing: What surprised you about it?

(*For those of you with really little LO's this may seem like a question that's not really relevant to this board, but since this board and the Multiples board are the only ones I frequent and I love everyone here so much this is where I usually post.  Also, my guys are almost 13 mos and can't even get into a sitting position so you all will understand why I'm asking this when they're at one year of age.  It's been a hell of a year and we're so far behind developmentally that it's weird to talk to other healthy mom's for advice sometimes.)

We are starting to think of baby proofing soon. (As stated in my previous post about tummy time my guys don't crawl yet but I feel like we're on the verge of a big breakthrough.) 

What surprised you about baby proofing? 

What things did you not think of that they get into so far? 

If you have pets, what things do you do to proof the pets and the babies? (we have two BIG dogs)

TIA!

Re: XP: Baby Proofing: What surprised you about it?

• Options

Our situations are different, but I thought I would respond. Ruby started crawling a few weeks ago, but all she does it crawl to the nearest object she can use to pull herself up to standing. =) We haven't had any surprises yet, but since you'll be out numbered, my only advice would be to do the basics before you have to!

Otherwise, I'm just looking to see what others have to say...

• Options
    ijackijack member
    Emma's favorite thing in the whole world to do is pull things out. She LOVES to open cabinets and take things out of them, but at the same time I don't want to drill into our cabinets. Honestly, we've covered the outlets, secured the couple cabinets that we can and just bought gates for the stairs (not because she is really dangerous on the stairs, but if she sees something on them she goes after it). Oh, we did take ALL of our unsturdy furniture out of our downstairs (our house is really open and our kitchen, living room, dining room and playroom all open to each other) because she liked to pull up on it. And we secured the bookcase in the playroom to the wall :)
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't do too much babyproofing for DS.  Then main things I did were outlet covers similar to these - https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2967826  and tethering bookcases and his dresser to the wall so he couldn't pull them over.

As far as dogs, the first place DS learned to crawl to was the food bowl and the second place was the water bowl :)  We ended up moving the bowls more out of the way.

Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

To be honest, I've never baby proofed a day in my life. Kiley is 20 months and is running around climbing on everything, getting into all my kitchen cabinets. She goes up and down the stairs. I also have 2 (10 & 5) other children and we never baby proofed for them. you just have to diligent on telling them No, ouch, yucky. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"