Phoenix Babies

Dreaming about moving to AZ

Hi ladies!  I'm in my dreamworld about wanting to move to AZ.  I know nothing about the schools and would love input as to what areas are good and which areas we should "stay away from" during our search.  I would like be close to Tempe, as that is where my DH would be working.  Affordable housing though too...something under $260k (3 beds).  It's always fun to dream!

Re: Dreaming about moving to AZ

• I love AZ and can't imagine living anywhere else, but I have to tell you that the schools here are totally screwed. Our state has a huge budget deficit, and our schools just had GIGANTIC budget cuts. So big that there are rumors that all schools will have 50+ kids/classroom, even elementary schools. Teachers also have no $ to spend on things like photocopies and pencils. Even the best schools in the state are going to have a hard time giving kids a decent education under those conditions. 

• My mom is a teacher and if she has to take a day off they do not give her a sub, they just split all her kids into other classrooms.  They have been cutting back on teachers and school nurses. You can home school your kids through a AZ program that provides you with a new computer for each kid and all the books and supplies needed.

As for the housing market it is getting a lot better. I am not sure about Tempe but in Chandler, Gilbert (My favorite place to live), and Mesa you can find houses under 260k, look into forclosures. I was looking at a new home in Queen Creek fo $66K and one in Gilbert for $100k. A year or so ago you couldnt find a house in Gilbert under $200K. Hope this helps :)

LOVE AZ

• Loading the player...
  • I am a teacher in Phoenix and I agree that there are some BAD schools out there.  But, there are some good ones too.  You just really have to do your research.  The budget cuts are hurting everyone everywhere but I think the good schools will still shine no matter what.  Your best bet is the Madison School District.  They really do care about kids!
  • Oh, and housing prices are pretty low right now. They've dropped about 50% in the last few years. We have a 4 bedroom house in a beautiful subdivision and we paid about $270 for it a year ago - and prices have dropped since then.
  • jessirajessira member
    Southern Tempe/ Northwest Chandler have some nice neighborhoods, in the Chandler Blvd/Ray Rd/Warner Rd/Elliot Rd areas between the 101 and the 10.  Also, Ahwatukee is really nice and right by the mountains and it's not far from Tempe, it is a little more expensive though!  We are looking to buy a house now and we are looking in Gilbert and hopefully that is where we end up!  I love it there!  With all the foreclosures right now you can definitely find a nice house for under $260k in a nice area!  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"