Blended Families
Options

Any ideas???

I am trying to be a good new stepmom, as difficult as that really is for me at this time, and am trying to come up with some ideas for what to get or help new SS make for his mother for Mother's Day. Any ideas? DH never dated this woman so he has no clue what she likes or dislikes and she is not very feminine at all so I don't think she would like anything like bath sets or lotions. TIA.

Re: Any ideas???

• Options

I need more info, whats the background?  How old is your SS? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Background:  In November, 3 days after my husband and I found out that I was pregnant with our first child, he got a call from a girl that he had had relations with one time 7 years ago before we ever met. My husband and this woman never dated or cared anything for oneanother but they were both at a party and drunk one night and well...you can figure out the rest. Anyway, this woman calls to say that her 5 year old son might be his. She had never bothered to contact him before and at the time the relations occured she was also dating another man who apparently disappeared from her and her son's life a few years ago. The only reason she ever thought about my husband being the father was because someone mentioned to her that she had sex with my husband that one night 7 years ago. Anyway, we got the DNA test done and received the results on April 7th and he is DH's son. DH and I have been to visit the child 5 times now, we went to his b-day party on Saturday and he stayed the night with us. The child just turned six.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I remember now.  How are you doing?  This has to be very stressful on you and your DH.  You guys sound as though you are coping very well.  The poor little guy, this must be very confusing for him.

I'm not sure about buying her a present, I guess it would be a nice gesture.  I personally don't do it with my SS.  He makes a card at school.  I would say at this stage something small or handmade.  If you have him before then you could bake some cookies. 

Sorry I really just don't know. 

• Options

I am trying my best to be okay. I know the one thing that I am tired of hearing from DH's family is, "you just don't see it like everyone else does. having a child is a joyous occasion." Nope, sorry, my husband having a child with another woman is kind of hard for me to get excited about. I think that I am doing good though and DH is trying to understand how I feel, though I know he never truly will. SS doesn't seem confused at all. He calls DH every day to talk to him and already calls him daddy. I think it is easy for DH to interact with him because DH is just a big kid himself.

I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of craft for SS to do but I just don't know of anything. We will be keeping him the day before mother's day to the best of my knowledge, so cookies may be a good idea.

• Options

Help him make her a card and pick out some flowers.  It doesn't have to be a big gesture.

BTW - I think it's very sweet that you are wanting to do something for her.  I know this is probably a very stressful time and you seem to be handling it well.  Good luck!

• Options
    FloF9FloF9 member
    Yea considering the story, I would just have (SS)him make a card for her.
  • Options

I would probably do a card and flowers... Since you guys are just starting off - this may be a way to get "good" with the BM.  If she sees right off the bat that you are a kind, caring woman, maybe your relations with her will be easier than some of us have...

Good luck.  I remember you too and was wondering how things were!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"