Infertility

What to expect after first failed IUI

Had our first IUI and beta today...tested yesterday and BFN so I am preparing for the call.  Will the nurse just call and so 'sorry, didn't work'; should I expect that we will have a follow up appt about what comes next for us or do they just presume you are moving with another IUI attempt?  I def have a bunch of questions, but wanted to hear protocol and experiences so as to know what the 'norm' is. 

I really hoped I would be one of the lucky ones.  I thought the BFN yesterday prepared me for today but as I walked out of the building from my beta draw I just cried.  I hate IF. 

Re: What to expect after first failed IUI

• I am so sorry.

I am sure they are going to go ahead at another attempt since it is your 1st one. I am currently 9dpiui # 3 now and we still may do 1 or 2 more if this one doesnt work.

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • I'm sorry :(

I did my first IUI on Saturday and they told me that I would have my beta on 5/8 and to expect a letter from the RE in 7-10 days outlining our plan on what we will do next month if it wasn't successful.

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies...I suppose I'll just wait for the dreaded call Tongue Tied
  • Hi there again!!!!  I am on number 3 and all we did was just move forward with another IUI if my levels of estrogen and FSH are all ok and there are no left over cysts.  This time though I requested to meet to talk about next steps - I want to move onto IVF.  I will let you know what happens.  Though I will say when I just called to say I am on CD1 - the girl who answers the phone who is REALLY nice - was like "are you sure its your period"  I was like UM YEAH - after 34 years Im pretty sure lol. 
  • I got a call from my nurse and she said "I'm sorry, I don't have good news," She told me to stop my prometrium and asked if we were going to go ahead with the next cycle. I told her we were and she told me which meds to refill and then just to call on CD1. She had talked with the Dr and they upped my meds for this cycle since I only had 1 follicle last month. We were told at our injections class that if we wanted to take a break cycle we could, or we could just go right into the next cycle.

I'm sorry for your BFN

11/7/07-Ectopic in right tube.-Tube removed.
    IUI#1-bfn, IUI#2-bfn, IUI#3-bfn, IUI#4-cancelled. 3/2010-IVF#1-c/p. 6/2010-FET
  • So sorry it didn't work out this cycle.

For us, when the nurse calls, she always says "I'm sorry, but you had a negative beta.  Please stop taking the progesterone capsules.  If you are going to do another IUI next cycle, come in on day 3 for u/s and Clomid Rx."

If you and your Dh are ready for IUI2, then ask about what happens next, how soon, and if the doc will give same meds.  If you want to ask the doctor the questions directly, ask nurse to have doc call you back, or you can set up appt w/ RE at that point.  GL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have never gone in for a beta, I always just call when I get AF (or, hopefully one of these days, a positive PG test). The nurse tells me she will talk to the Dr and call me back. When she calls back, she lets me know what he wants to do next.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks ladies...it really means a lot for ya'll to post.  I think hearing 'sorry' sometimes is all I need.  Thank you again. 
  • I'm sorry about your IUI...I know how you feel.

After my first failed IUI, the nurse called with the negative beta, told me to stop taking the Endometrin, and said to reorder the same meds as last time.  I called about 10 days later to double-check the meds, and she said the Dr. might shift dosage or meds after my CD 3 b/w, but not now.

Best of luck to you next cycle!

PCOS, lupus anticoagulant, MTHFR (A1298C, one copy) 2 IUIs & 1 IVF = BFN FET#1 = It's a girl! Born 7.1.10 FET#2 = c/p FET#3 = Twin girls! Born on 3.16.12 at 33w2d due to severe pre-E. After 4 weeks in the NICU they are home! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"