Secondary IF

What do babysitters go for per hour these days?

So DH and I have finally gotten to the point that we feel comfortable leaving DS with someone other than family.  We have found a great babysitter.  A daughter of friends of the family.  Tons of experience and she really loves kids.  On top of that she is just really nice.  Se is 23 or 24, out of college and working but wants to do something for a little extra cash.

So how much should we pay her?  I have no idea.  We are prepared to pay more than the standard going rate if she is as great with DS as what we think she will be.

What do you think?

Re: What do babysitters go for per hour these days?

• I would say in the neighborhood of 10.00 per hour. I know that seems like a lot, but she is not 15, and can/will drive to your house, ect.
  • Really ?  That almost sounds like too little.  DH and I were estimating around $20 an hour. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We pay our girls about $12 an hour. I have heard anywhere from $10-15 is normal. I figure, we only have one kid. By the time the sitter gets here and we go out, he's only awake for an hour. So to pay more than that for her to sit and watch TV, play on the computer, talk on the phone all night, is a little too much!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We pay ours $12 an hour. She is a college student. We could have gotten away with $10, but she is excellent. She loves DS and he loves her! I think anywhere from $10-15 is the going rate...
  • The teenagers that I've used are usually paid around $10/hour (depending on what is involved). I would start with at least that.  I always ask them what her rate would be.
    Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I give $15 for 2 hours.  We live in small town.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • We pay our regular daycare provider $10/hour when we use her for after-hours/extra babysitting.
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker missed m/c 9/08 at 12 weeks missed m/c 1/09 at 8 weeks diagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis 5/09 diagnosed MTHFR 5/09 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wow, that seems crazy to me!  We have so far only hired jr high girls and we have been home, downstairs with a dinner party, and they have been upstairs keeping everyone's kids occupied.  We offered them minimum wage, and they acted like they had never seen so much money. 

Thank goodness my mom is usually available to babysit!

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • $8-10 is the rate around here. But I'd also pay a $20 minimum if it was a short period of time.
    - Jena
  • WOW...times have changed.  I remember getting paid $3-5/hr back in HS.  I guess if I needed a sitter now I would probably pay them around $10/hr.  In the meantime, I just have my MIL or dad babysit...they enjoy spending time with their grandson.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
    TTC #2 since Nov '07
    Tried 4 cycles of Clomid, TI, Gonal-f, and IUI's - all BFFN's
    Both tubes removed Nov '09
    Low AMH = 0.3
    IVF #1 for Feb '10 - cancelled due to poor response - Gonal-f and Repronex
    IVF #1.2 for June '10 - Gonal-f, Menopur, and micro Lupron
    ER - 6/19 (2 retrieved), ET - 6/22 (1 transferred with ICSI), Beta 7/5 = BFFN
    IVF #2 for Nov '10 was cancelled due to poor response - Follistim, Repronex, and micro Lupron
    IVF #2.2 for Feb '11 - Gonal-f, Repronex, and Ganirelix
    ER - 2/24 (8 retrieved), ET - 3/1 (2 transferred with ICSI), froze 3, Beta 3/11 = BFFN
    FET - 4/19 (3 transferred), Beta 4/28 = BFP, EDD 1/4/12
  • I know I am late getting this in but I pay $10/hour. If it is just 1-2 hours I pay a min of $25. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with. My mom always said you pay for what you get.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for your info ladies. Much appreciated!!
  • 8-12 per hour is the going rate around here depending on age/experience.
    My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • $10-14 is average around here.
    Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"