Special Needs
Options

Tucker had bad choking incident this morning.

As many of you know, Tucker has reactive airway disease as a results of his TE Fistula repair surgery when he was born.

Well, he's got a cold so he's had that horrible cough for about three weeks now. Saw the pulmonologist last week and it's not turning into pneumonia or bronchiolitis so we're just sticking with the inhalers, neb and airway clearance vest for now.

So anyway, this morning he was having dry cereal for breakfast (cup of milk and water too) while I was packing his lunch for daycare. He must have coughed and inhaled a piece of his cereal - I looked over and he was obviously choking on his cereal, bright red and not making a sound.

I ran over, started to hit him on the back, he was trying to gag and putting his hands in his mouth like he could pull out the food but just kept choking, starting to turn purple. I gave him the heimleich a few times and finally he started coughing and taking little gasps. It was fuking HORRIBLE.

The poor kid, the tears were just streaming down his face and when he could finally catch his breath, he just kept saying "Mommy! Mommy!". Then he said "Scared". It broke my heart.

We've had two surgeries for food being impacted because of his TEF but this was the first time where the airways were effected. I hope that never happens again - it was terrifying.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies! I just keep hoping that we'll get to a point where he can eat like any other kid and I won't have to worry about food getting stuck - I never thought that I'd have to also worry about when he's got a cough and is eating because of his floppy airways!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Tucker had bad choking incident this morning.

• Options

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes.  This is one of my biggest fears when Drake starts eating!  I am so sorry.  It just breaks my heart that he had to go through something like that. 

Give that big guy a big hug from Drake and me.  I think about him from time to time wondering how he's doing.  

• Options
    Oh my goodness - how scary!  Thank goodness he's ok, and thank goodness he has a Mommy who knew just what to do.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm really afraid of that too!!! I noticed that Emma has a cough and I'm assuming It's because the repair involves the trachea....She seems fine otherwise, but def has little choking episodes because of the reflux...I am petrified for when she starts solids...I am going to drown everything in any kind of sauce...lol.....I kinda know how you feel...Emma has choking episodes when her reflux gets bad!
  • Options
    Very scary! Owen has lots of trouble with eating so he doesn't even handle food with texture very well.  He lacks the muscle tone to chew and swallow tough food.  He has choked a few times before we actually figured out how much trouble he had.  He now eats only pureed or really soft food.  He threw up each time he choked and never couldn't breathe.  I am sorry you had to see that!
  • Options

Poor Tucker & Poor Mommy!!!!  I hope it gets better & your worries ease!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

Thanks so much for the support ladies. It's really nice to be able to hear from people who just "Get it". Know what I mean?

We have an appt with our pulmonologist tomorrow to get an x-ray, just to make sure that he doesn't have anything actually in his lungs. He had a great weekend so I'm thinking that we're fine but we've had him with bacteria actually growing in his lungs before and didn't know so it'll be good to be sure.

Thanks again!!

xoxoxo

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"