Special Needs
Options

Pediasure is %$&@ expensive

Our nutritionist has suggested that Marley take 16 ozs a day of Pediasure due to her slow weight gain.

A 6 pack of pediasure is equal to 48 ozs. Each pack costs around $12. Once pack will last 3 days. So she will go through 2 1/3 packs a week. That's over $24 a week which is basically $100/month.

That's twice as much as I paid monthly for formula as one big can of formula lasted 2 weeks.

Anyway know where I can find some good deals on this stuff? I'm a little in shock.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pediasure is %$&@ expensive

• Options

Our youngest is also slow to gain weight and it was suggested to add Pediasure to his diet. It is expensive. I have found that Walmart and target sell their own brand which is about half the price. We've switched to carnation instant breakfast - which is even cheaper and the nutritionist said it is just as good. Not sure if your daughter tolerates milk, but I'm sure it could be mixed with soy milk also. Hope this helps.

• Options
    coupons if people have them, I might be able to get some but not sure. You should see if your insurance will cover it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes it is expensive.  My family gives me their coupons from the paper all of the time.  Walmart is normally a few bucks cheaper.

• Options
    We also switched to Carnation Instant Breakfast, on the rec of Chloe's nutritionist and Dev Pedi. She just hit 20 lbs which almost puts her back on the growth chart, so I think it's working. We used the generic Pediasure from Target previously.
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • Options

I don't know your financial/insurance situation, so this is just general advice for all families needing formula:

?1. ?You can get Pediasure from WIC with a note from your doctor, usually this is covered at WIC if your insurance will not pay for Pediasure. ?

?2. ?You can see if your Regional Center will help cover the cost (we have these in California, not sure what there is in other states but it is basically a center for kids with special needs and includes physical therapy and other services). ?Speak with your case manager about that if you live in California or if you have a case manager of any kind.

?3. ?If your child is eligible for any state-sponsored insurance plan then often these will cover the formula with a doctor's order through a home health company (a pharmacy that will send the formula to your house).

4. ?If the cost is an issue, discuss it with your dietician because there are often other more cost-effective options that might be appropriate (ex: carnation instant breakfast, Benecalorie, generics, etc) but this is on a case by case basis depending on the age of the child (some things are not OK before age 2 or so, etc) and why they need the Pediasure.

?Bottom line, bring up the cost issue with your dietician and see if they can give you ideas to make it more reasonable. ?A lot of times we just start with Pediasure because it works well and it is pretty easy and time-tested but that doesn't mean its the only option or that you should pay through the nose if you can find another alternative. ?

I don't know if any of this helps you and Marley, but I just wanted to put the info out there.

• Options
    Our state's medical assistance program (katie beckett) covers pedia sure for children.  I hoe that you can find a funding source too - sometimes insurance will with a script.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"