Rhode Island Babies
Options

Midwives in RI?

Are there any non-hospital birthing centers in RI? 

I am strongly considering a water birth, supervised by a midwife, but while other states seem to have a ton of information, RI seems really lacking in resources. 

Does anyone know of anyone in RI who had a natural, non-hospital birth?

Thanks!

Re: Midwives in RI?

• Options
    not that I know of.  I think you can do a water birth at W&I in the ABC unit.
  • Options

I can't help with your question, as I delivered at UMass in Worcester, and I wasn't interested in a water birth at the time so I didn't research it. However, you may want to post this over on the RI Nest board. There are a lot of new moms and pregnant girls over there. Maybe someone will have more information for you. The Nest board is also much more active than the RI Bump board.

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/3230695/ShowForum.aspx

Good luck! I hope you're able to find someone :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hey there...did you have any luck finding anything out?  I tried to see if you posted on the nest board, and didn't see anything.  I live in Southern MA and am on the same search as you.  I've heard good things about Many Mumford Haley who delivers at Memorial in Pawtucket.  I think I may go meet with her.

Monica

• Options
    i had 2 natural births, but choose to have them in the hospital. i know my obgyn has midwives... not sure if you want the water birth at your house or if you are open to a birthing center?? dont know if they would travel to your house though and do it in that setting.  as gapgirl mantioned - you can do that at w&i... its set up really great. also the business of being born is an interesting watch - you can reant it off showtime on on demand for free. it talks a lot about natural births / med births in the hospital and at home. let me know if you have other questions!
    mila belle 3.26.07 and isla leighton 5.12.09 image mila belle aka mimi and belle and miss isla aka ileigh : ) pregnancy calendar
  • Options

I had my first with a midwife by the name of Kathy Tirrell down in Newport who does water births. She uses a fantastic birthing tub over in the Noreen Stonor Drexel birthing center in Newport Hospital (https://www.lifespan.org/newport/services/birthingctr/)

Good luck!

?

• Options
    Also, to your other question, yes, there are lots of women in RI who have had natural births. ?Have you connected with the women at Bellani Maternity in Warwick??
  • Options

imagegapgirl972001:
    not that I know of.  I think you can do a water birth at W&I in the ABC unit.

this

• Options
    I know this was posted a LONG time ago, but as an fyi, you cannot have a waterbirth at W&I, you can only use the jacuzzi as a method of relaxation.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to follow up here - I am now very happily with Kathy Tirrell at Newport Hospital.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"