Trouble TTC
Options

investment pieces (long)

if any of you have any tips or suggestions, let me know.

i just moved out of my house which was basically one big closet. i now live with dh in a smaller house (and obviously there are 2 people in it) and he is really obsessive about not having clutter.

anyway, while packing up my old house, i got rid of so much stuff and feel a lot better about it. it was difficult, as i love to save things, but once i got rid of things i know i'll never wear, i felt like i started over with a clean slate. that said, i'm trying really hard to keep what i have to a minimum and only buy things i will wear and that will last a long time. i don't do super trendy stuff, so that's not an issue.

my goal is to ONLY buy "investment pieces" that i will save up for, that way i will have really fabulous clothes even though i won't have a lot. i'm really good at saving and dh doesn't mind how much individual things cost as long as the total is the same.

what i want to know is...

does anyone else do this?

how do i keep from impulse buying?

this is an example of a nicole miller dress i just got (talked my mom into getting it for my wedding so i could have it sized down for me, which i did last week):

Nicole Miller - Shirred Silk Gown - Saks.com

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: investment pieces (long)

• Options

I tried this once, and failed miserably!  It's hard because styles change, your body changes, the weather changes, etc. The fall is the hardest time not to buy new clothes because it seems there's always a new color or style that catches my eye. And I hate wearing the same thing over and over.

On the other hand, it's nice to buy clothes that will last for a couple of years rather than constantly getting rid of clothes that were impulse buys.

• Options

I have heard of the concept of 'investment pieces" before, and I have tried to do this in the past, but haven't really been able to do so for the reasons mentioned above.

I have tried to put more of an effort into buying basics such as black pants and blouses, and then wear them with the new sweaters that I buy each season.

I have a few nice pieces of jewelry that I consider to be my investment pieces.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageStVincentGrad:

I have heard of the concept of 'investment pieces" before, and I have tried to do this in the past, but haven't really been able to do so for the reasons mentioned above.

I have tried to put more of an effort into buying basics such as black pants and blouses, and then wear them with the new sweaters that I buy each season.

I have a few nice pieces of jewelry that I consider to be my investment pieces.

i agree about the basics, that's mostly what i am drawn to anyway, as i almost never buy prints or really bright colors, so that's why i feel comfortable spending more on really good clothes.

• Options

I used to try to do this but my life has changed dramatically since then. When I lived and worked in NYC, I dressed up for work and went out a lot. I bought great shoes, dressy coats and boots, designer bags, nice suits, dresses.... then I left the city, had a baby and became a SAHM!  Now I am rebuilding my wardrobe completely. I now need things that are machine washable, comfy for walks, the playground in, sitting on the floor in, etc. It's been hard though. I'd never been a "casual girl" so I'm basically adopting a whole new look.

I've kept all of my bags and most shoes. I kept some dresses, suits but also consigned a lot. Now I'm all about having great outerwear, jeans at a perfect length for every shoe and finding comfy yet fashionable clothes. I hate sloppy. For instance, I'll do cropped/cigarette type cotton pants rather than baggy khakis. Surprisingly, I have had great luck w/ Gap this past year for jeans and casual flowy button downs and tees.

I guess what I am saying is, it is a good way to shop but keep in mind your that your needs could change.

And my advice on impulse buying is, do it sparingly. Sometimes cheap things are worth it, esp. in the summertime. Things like tanks, imo, are almost disposable these days. It will give you that shopping "fix" we all get. Plus, everyone needs one or two current trendy pieces once in a while. Just save your receipts and don't be afraid to return it if it has hung in your closet w/ the tags on for over a week and you've realized that you do not want it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Avoid window shopping! Recycle your outfits and create new ones. I have a couple of "investment pieces" that were either given to me or I saved up for. And the ones I saved up for were totally worth it.

• Options
    imagenewportbride715:

And my advice on impulse buying is, do it sparingly. Sometimes cheap things are worth it, esp. in the summertime. Things like tanks, imo, are almost disposable these days. It will give you that shopping "fix" we all get. Plus, everyone needs one or two current trendy pieces once in a while. Just save your receipts and don't be afraid to return it if it has hung in your closet w/ the tags on for over a week and you've realized that you do not want it! 

that's good advice! hopefully i can stick to it. thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"