Birth Stories

Doula

Did you use a Doula and would you recommend it?

Re: Doula

• I did not have one, but in hindsight I wish I had, and I will have one for the next baby.
  • We did and I would definitely recommend it. DH was initially worried that she would take over and leave him out of things, but that was totally not the case... she was a huge help but it was mostly behind the scenes for me since DH was still my main support person.

I absolutely think it was worth it and if we were doing another hospital birth I would DEFINITELY hire a doula again. But we are at a birth center this time and with the way it's set up, it's not necessary and a doula would be redundant.

• Loading the player...
  • If I were to have the baby at a hospital I would definetely have a doula. We are going to a birth center though so I don't feel it's necessary.

Doulas can be a great support to you and your "coach" as well as the statistics are great in that you have a reduced chance of pain medication/c-sections/interventions such as forceps or vaccuum AND i've heard shorter labors too :) 

Good luck! 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• SxiaSxia member

We did the first time, and she was great but not necessary.

?She mostly made me feel very relaxed, but I trust DH to be able to do that this time.?

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageMrs.tlcS:
    I did not have one, but in hindsight I wish I had, and I will have one for the next baby.

Same.  I will be hopefully VBACing our next child and I really want a doula to help me with achieving one.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • imageMrs.tlcS:
    I did not have one, but in hindsight I wish I had, and I will have one for the next baby.

I felt the same way after DS.  When I got pg, with #2, I knew I wanted to use a doula b/c I really wanted a successful VBAC.  I had two actually (my primary was 7 months pg and wanted a back up in case my labor was long) and am so glad I did.  Worth every penny & would do it again if we have a third.  It was super helpful to me that my doula had also VBAC'd herself and was very supporting, understanding and just a huge support for me esp when I was a week past my due date.  Most definitely recommend!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"