Parenting
Options

Can I get back daycare deposit? Advice, please!

I'll try to make a long story short, buuut anyway...

The daycare DD is in now is the greatest place on earth, but very expensive. For a few months now, we've been trying to balance our budget to make it work, because we are so completely in love with the place and what it does for her, but we decided we had best just find another place. Well, I saw countless places and was having a really hard time finding a good place. Finally, a couple weeks ago, I found one I liked pretty well, so we put down a deposit for her to start in May, a deposit for our baby on the way to start in Oct., and a registration fee. These are all non-refundable.

Well, yesterday I told the current daycare that we were planning to move DD. I talked to the director and one of her amazing teachers, and I was choking back tears. We never wanted to take her out of that place, but it hit hardest right then. When we got home, we decided to try to call MIL and ask her to take DD one day a week. Now, we already asked her that a few months ago, but she had said no, b/c she had travel plans, but they didn't end up happening. Still, she had kind of been avoiding the child care issue, even though she had promised a million times (without any provocation or assumption from us) to help take care of her when we moved closer to her (which we did 7 months ago). We had always said "ok" when she offered and thought that was going to be happening, so we were very shocked when we got here originally and she suddenly said she couldn't. And that's why we had decided to look for another place - we just didn't even think of that as an option anymore.

But yesterday we decided to give it a try and ask her one more time - and she was totally fine with it! So now she wants to look after DD one day a week, and I'm ecstatic b/c now we can keep her in this place we love... but we have one problem - the non-refundable deposit at the other place. I feel like a giant idiot for having put it down without asking MIL first, but b/c of the aforementioned events, I really didn't think she would say yes, and I really didn't think we had any other choice. But it's a lot of money to just throw away.

So... does anyone have any advice on what I can say to this other place to improve my chances of getting that deposit back? Is it possible, or should I just kiss it goodbye? Sorry this was so long... thanks!

Re: Can I get back daycare deposit? Advice, please!

• Options
    I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but I would kiss the deposits goodbye.  They are non-refundable after all!
    Liam is 5!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I would check your paperwork and see what it says about refunds.  but if it says non-refundable you are gonna be out of luck.  I would however call and plead your case because you really dont have anything to lose by asking.
    Josh-10/1/87, Brittany 3/9/91, Mandi 7/26/92, Michelle 9/11/06 image I'M GRAPE JELLY- ALWAYS AROUND & ALWAYS THE SAME If I leave here tomorrow, would you still remember me. For I must be traveling on now. Because there are too many places I've got to see. -Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant My favorite verse!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would call the director at the new place and explain that there may be a change in your situation, and if so is there any way of getting your deposit, or even part of it, back.  You never know...

If you can't, it might be good to keep that option open for now and see how it goes with MIL.  From what you described I would be worried that after a few weeks MIL might decide she doesn't want to do it.  Just check your paperwork carefully with the new place to see when you need to let them know you won't be going, you don't want to be stuck paying for 2 places.

GL!

Rebecca- mom to 3 kids: DS born 2005, DD born 2007 and DS born 2010.
  • Options
    imagerebs:

I would call the director at the new place and explain that there may be a change in your situation, and if so is there any way of getting your deposit, or even part of it, back.  You never know...

If you can't, it might be good to keep that option open for now and see how it goes with MIL.  From what you described I would be worried that after a few weeks MIL might decide she doesn't want to do it.  Just check your paperwork carefully with the new place to see when you need to let them know you won't be going, you don't want to be stuck paying for 2 places.

GL!

I agree...I would keep the spot.  Honestly, I would be too afraid to go with MIL.  She doesn't sound too reliable. 

• Options
    If you can't get it back, I'd try to get it as a credit --maybe you can use them for days your MIL can't watch dd, something like that. 
  • Options

Thanks, guys, that is good advice... I hear you about MIL. She really is quite reliable 90% of the time. This situation has been an exception, which is why it was so surprising. We'll see how it works... she already watches DD whenever I need to go on errands, and DD loves her - they always have a great day together. If we depend on MIL for something and she can't do it, she always lets us know in advance - she said she'd do that for this too, and the daycare is always fine with picking up an extra day - for a price, of course, but it's still better than regularly paying for that day. Guess I'll give it a try w/the deposit, see how it goes...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"