Infertility

How many IUIs before IVF?

I know everyone is different but how many IUIs did you try before you moved onto IVF? I have done 4 IUIs with clomid and am moving on to 1 or 2 with injectables. If that doesn't work we are looking at IVF. We are dealing with some borderline MFI.  I know my husband would like to do more IUIs but I'm leaning towards one more and then just moving on to IVF for better odds.

Re: How many IUIs before IVF?

• i tried to have 1 but overstimmed and got converted to IVF. 

it's a good thing though, b/c now we found out we are dealing with MFI too, so IVF is our best bet anyway.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • If our MFI wasn't as bad, we might have done 2-3 IUI's, but no more than that.  My husband and I think they would be a waste of time and money in our current position (5% chance of success with IUI, 60-65% with IVF).
    image Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have done 3 injectable IUI and moved on to IVF.  I went for a second opinion before moving to IVF just to make sure another RE would say the same thing.

Good Luck!!

• I have done 2 clomid IUI's and if this one doesnt work, I am moving onto injectables and will prob. do 2-3 of those before doign IVF (again)

My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • Info in Siggy but quickly 3iui w/clomid, 3iui w/injectables, and on 2nd IVF

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Chase is Watching you!!!!!
  • I always thought 3 oral med and 3 injectibles was often recommended if you responded well on each type, but it ended up being 8 total (different sperm situations as per my signature).  I really should have just moved onto IVF after 1 or 2 with my husband though in hindsight but you just never know.
  • We will be doing a max of 3 IUIs before moving on, per my Drs recommendation. Although if I decide to go straight to IVF, that is also an option.
    11/7/07-Ectopic in right tube.-Tube removed.
    IUI#1-bfn, IUI#2-bfn, IUI#3-bfn, IUI#4-cancelled. 3/2010-IVF#1-c/p. 6/2010-FET
  • My RE said 3, but then he didn't want to "count" my first one since I needed PIO. I got pregnant on my 3rd one, so now I just feel like it can work, so want to do a few more. We went straight to injectibles. I now think #6 would be my last.
  • I know I am not typical, but after 3 clomid only cycles, I tried 1 IUI w/ injectibles (cancelled due to poor response) and am moving straight onto IVF, based on my drs recommendation.  We don't have MFI, but I'm almost 37, I have insurance, and want the best chance of having 2 kids before 40....I think I'm pushing it as is!  It was a tough decision, but I think I am doing the right thing for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did 2 with injectables and are now moving to IVF. I think it was fairly quick for us because A, I don't want to waste time on what I feel like isn't increasing my chances enough, and B, we are lucky enough to have insurance coverage. If we didn't have teh coverage, I am sure we would have tried a few more IUI's.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• I did 7 IUI's - 6 with Clomid and one drug free - I am also MFI - we did not move on to injectable IUI's for two reasons - one - since I have no known issues - I was afraid I would produce two many follies and my cycle would get canceled and two because injectable drugs are not covered under our insurance and I want to save the money for IVF.  We are saving now for IVF now and hope to move onto that by the fall.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"