Parenting after a Loss
Options

? for moms who have/are pumping and nursing

Last night and tonight Austin has been pulling off when nursing and acting really frustrated. This only happens in the afternoon and evening. I am worried that he is getting frustrated because he isn't getting the milk as fast from me as he does from the bottle(I do use a slow flow nipple)  and also that maybe I'm not giving him the 5 oz he's getting at daycare from the bottle. Last night's night feeding was so frustraiting for us both that tonight I went ahead and warmed 3 oz which I gave him once he started acting frustrated. He acts fine while taking the bottle. 

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do? I am trying to increase the times I pump and my intake of water. I also bought oatmeal to start eating incase it is a supply issue.  

Re: ? for moms who have/are pumping and nursing

• Options

my dd does this too, I asked her nurse pract. about it since she's also an LC and she said it could be that the milk is flowing too fast...and it's choking her - but in my case it happens in the afternoon and evening too when I personally think I have less of a supply and like you mentioned it's not flowing as fast.  She did watch me nurse about a month ago and suggested that I was holding dd to far up so I lowered her so she didn't have to stretch her neck up and that did seem to work for a while but she's getting longer and it's hard to hold her like that.  We're still working at figuring all this out but she did it again today and so finally I stopped, swaddled her up and she promptly fell asleep!  It's so frustrating.  I've been trying to increase my pumping too and make sure I eat and drink enough water.  GL!

also, does he only do it on one side?  DD was only doing this on one side and that's why the nurse thought it was possibly a flow issue.  That side does produce almost double the other side when I pump so it could be that. 

• Options
    Jenna does that sometimes too.  I agree it is probably because it is slower and less than in the morning or bottles.  Sometimes I think it is also because that is when she is most fussy or overtired.  I tend to feed her a bunch in the evening - especially if I think she isnt getting much.  Also more nursing leads to more production so that is all i do.
    Janine image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Yep, sounds a lot like my DS. He got a bit "spolied" on the bottle and now unless I am really engorged, my boob is too slow for him.

I read a great tip in a book I got about making more milk, which is this: while you are giving your LO a bottle, periodically tilt him forward so that he is still sucking on the nipple, but getting no milk. Let him suck for a bit, then tilt him back to get the milk. That simulates the flow of a breast so that he doesn't get too used to having milk pouring in all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"