High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Bed Rest has begun

So I have a UTI and was in L&D last night for a few hours with extreme kidney pain.  We also found out that my cervix is now down to 1.6 and I am 1cm dialated.  I have been on terb for a few weeks now for contractions and I had a feeling bed rest was coming but I'm not excited about it.  I'm really worried about work mainly and I have both of my showers the next 2 weekends.  I know it is best to be down and keep him in a little longer but it's kind of tough to take it all in.  Luckily we were able to wait this long before going on bed rest and my ob takes people off at 35 weeks and from then on it's just a wait and see.  For those of you on it now or in the past how did you pass the time?  Was it awful?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bed Rest has begun

• Options

I'm sorry you've been put on BR.

I would say the first couple of weeks were the hardest. I was very worried about work and my shower too. After some time, work anxiety has gone to the back of my mind. My perspectives have changed. It  has just become about taking care of me and my baby.  It was a one day at a time process for me and DH. BR will definatly show the strenghts and weaknesses of your relationship. But I have to say DH and I have become much closer going through this together.  

I'm still on BR, but it's less restricted now, I can go out to dinner/movie once a week and I can use the stairs to do laundry once a day (DH has to carry the basket though). Otherwise I still need to stay off my feet. I also go to my Dr's once a week and have non-stress tests twice a week. Been doing that since my BR began 7 weeks ago.  

I was able to go to my shower since it was near by. If the worst had happened and my Drs wouldn't let me leave the house we would have just had it at our apartment as tight as it would have been.  

I read, watch movies, journal, chat on the computer, and I love word searches. After awhile the TV gets to me and I just listen to music or Podcasts on my Ipod. 

As I said, the beginning in the hardest, but it does get better.  This board is great for support and laughs. Several people are also on Sidelines.com too. Also an excellent source of support.  

Hang in there and I hope you feel better soon. UTI's/kidney pain are awful! I've been there.

Take care! 

~Colleen

• Options

Sorry to hear you're on bed rest, but it sounds like that's absolutely the best thing for you and your baby at this point.

What do you do for a living? ?Is it possible your office might let you work from home if your doctor would okay it? ?As for your showers, I don't have much advice except you should ask your doctor to see if he/she would let you attend.

Hang in there... It'll be worth it in the end!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am so sorry to hear that!  Hang in there, it will really help.  As for me, the second week was the hardest because it really sank in. The first week I was getting used to working from home, which has been my saving grace for sure! I have unfortunately picked up some bad tv habits but it is making me sick of tv so I won't want to watch any when LO gets here, lol (like the Bad Girls Club and Toddlers & Tiarras, hahaha).  I have DH go to the library and get me books and I do turn the tv off a lot of days and just plug on some music while I surf the net since it doesn't mark the slow passage of time as much as tv does. I agree with pp, check to see if you can do some work from home, it really does help pass the day!!! Also, once the end was in sight, I made a little stack of post-its that count down in reverse order so I can peel one off every morning reminding me that time actually is moving along.  Online shopping has been entertaining too, lol. You have the time to really find EVERYTHING out there and the best price on it.

Good luck and count on this board, it is awesome!!!

• Options
    Sorry to hear you've been "sentenced", haha. I have a schedule usually, watch daytime TV from 9-12 (Regis and Kelly, The View, Tyra), then I put in a DVD of Friends or Sex and the City or CSI, and do some knitting, and sometimes read for a couple hours in the afternoon. I never sleep or nap during the day because I already have trouble waking up at night and not falling back asleep. It's only a few weeks - good luck!
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Options

I'm sorry you got put on bedrest but at least you know you only have 3 weeks. You can do anything for 3 weeks I promise.

I've been on bedrest since 24wks so I'm 6 weeks in and probably have another 6 weeks to go. Some days are better then others. I usually wake up around 7-8 and watch the Today show in bed before taking a quick shower. Then I move downstairs to my couch. Before dh leaves, he makes my coffee and has breakfast ready for me to grab on the way to my couch. I watch the rest of the Today show until 10am then I turn off the tv and listen to music. I usually also do a little work between 10-12. I'm lucky that I worked from home most of the time before bedrest so I just had to transition to doing it on the couch. But I'm only allowed to work 4 hours a day at the most. DH pretty much has my lunch ready for me to grab as well. I watch tv and nest in the afternoons mostly. Some days I'll read but I just can't get into any books right now.

Also ask your doctor about your showers. I was allowed to go to mine this past weekend. I had to have someone take me and bring me home and I had to sit on the couch the whole time. I will say through I paid for it sunday and monday. I was having major cramping and contractions both days. Everything is good now but even that few hours out and about really did me in.

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I actually sort of enjoyed bed rest in the beginning!  I went on short term disability from work because their policy did not allow me to work from home.  I spent all my time reading new books (I love to read), blogging, writing, and finally getting back in touch with friends.  I discovered the Nest too!  Now that I have been on bed rest for almost four months, it is getting a little tougher, but I just keep trying new things.  Now I am back to studying Italian like I did in college, and I spend a decent amount of time on the phone with friends too.  We don't have tv, so I am sure if you did that would help as well.

It IS going to be tough, and you will probably have some days where you feel pretty bad: sad, frustrated, depressed.  Get a calendar to mark the days as they pass, and try to have a friend or loved one do something special for you at the start/end of each new week.  A friend of mine had her mother bring her a picnic lunch every week, and it really gave her something to look forward to.  It's also a great time to learn or keep up with crafts... knitting, sewing, scrapbooking.

You'll make it, and anything that helps your baby will be totally worth it!  Just keep telling yourself you're doing the best thing for that little life!  Then when things get rough, feel free to get on here and complain away!  That's what we're here for!

• Options

I have been on bedrest for only 10 days so far so I am still a newbie at it. Like others, I have a schedule. I get up around the same time each day and spend WAYYY to much time watching T.V. I am also into scrapbooking and DH has moved all of that into the living room so I will work on that a little each day. I am on semi-strict bedrest which means that I can take shower and go downstairs to the couch. I can also get up and get myself a snack or lunch when i am home alone. Yesterday i was even allowed to take a trip to the grocery store!!!

I read a lot of magazines (catching up on my baby magazines) and books. I also try not to sleep too much during the day as then I can't sleep at night. I also have my baby shower this weekend. I am thankful that it is at my own house. I hope that you are still able to go to yours as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"