q re: male factor? — The Bump
Infertility

q re: male factor?

hi, i don't really post on this board, but i had a question.?

my DH has been tested twice and results came back both times with a large amount of sperm, but that they were slow and a high % shaped wrong. our dr said that he could get tested again, or we could move directly to insemination.?

nothing has come back to indicate that there is anything wrong w me, but in our last discussion she wanted me to get a postcoital test. i haven't done the HSG yet either.

would you have him get tested again? he took very strong asthma meds as a child and i think they may have caused these issues. ?

IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

Re: q re: male factor?

• No question...have him tested again!! It is relaitvely cheap compared to IUI's/IVF and could save you lots and lots of money!
    My Blog
    DD #1 {04-19-2004}
    Secondary IF: Severe MFI (low testosterone, low count, low morph, & very low motility) & Annovulation
    After 22 months IUI # 3 Clomid + Follistim = BFP
    DD #2 {12-31-2009}
    2 more years of failed IF treatments and a failed adoption TTC #3
    TTC Journey Over~ Not By Choice
  • You should also get the HSG and hormone testing.  My husband has really high counts too but low motility and low morph.  We did 3 inseminations (IUIs) and now we're moving onto IVF.  Was one of the semen analysis a Kruger morphology test?  That might also tell you whether IUIs are worth your time and money or not.
  • Loading the player...
  • Definitely get him tested again -- there can be errors and you want to verify the results.

Also, I would get an HSG and other testing done before proceding with an IUI -- you don't want to put the time and money into it and find out your have blocked tubes or something.

GL!

We are adopting! Currently waiting for our domestic infant adoption match.

My blog: Making Me Mom

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • If I were you I would definitely do the HSG....you dont want to do IVF & then find out there is a problem.

How far apart were your DH's SAs? They need to be 2-3 months apart for there to be a difference (sperm take that long to regenerate).  I would also get a blood test for DH to check hormone levels & get him to a urologist to  review the SA results & do a physical exam. 

Good luck!

• I would have him see a urologist who specializes in male infertility.

My DH had moderate/severe low count, and then occasionally had some motility and morphology issues, but those were less of an issue.

He wound up having a high estradiol level and was put on Arimidex, GNC Fertility Blend for Men, and Vitamin C 500 mg daily - even if your DH doesn't have a hormonal issue, I would check into the antioxidant therapy (GNC stuff and vit C. They have been shown to show improvements in #'s, although I don't have the stats offhand.)

If you're looking at IUI or IVF, I don't think a postcoital will do much for you, but I could be wrong. The HSG would be a good idea to get done.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards